- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

We recently received oodles of regional lidar data (3 ft) and I have had that 'kid in a candy shop' experience over that last few days. I had pretty good success performing analytic hillshading on the "highest hit" returns using a higher illumination angle than normal, then compositing other data on top (or bottom :) ).

I'll post more screenshots later but here are a few preliminary results. The first shows just the "highest return" hillshade multiplied with a "bare earth" hillshade, and the second adds some color from air photos. This area shows the Persimmons Country Club in Damascus, East of Portland, OR. I also added an aerial photo to provide more perspective (3rd image).

I (heart) Lidar.

Attached File  Picture_49.jpg   162.73KB   250 downloads Attached File  Picture_48.jpg   223.4KB   266 downloads Attached File  Picture_53.jpg   87.69KB   241 downloads

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

We recently received oodles of regional lidar data (3 ft) and I have had that 'kid in a candy shop' experience over that last few days. I had pretty good success performing analytic hillshading on the "highest hit" returns using a higher illumination angle than normal, then compositing other data on top (or bottom :) ).

I'll post more screenshots later but here are a few preliminary results. The first shows just the "highest return" hillshade multiplied with a "bare earth" hillshade, and the second adds some color from air photos. This area shows the Persimmons Country Club in Damascus, East of Portland, OR. I also added an aerial photo to provide more perspective (3rd image).

I (heart) Lidar.

Cool!!

LIDAR Veg canopy layers might be the lazy cartographers bump mapping technique :P although it might be a costly corner cutting exercise.

Can't wait to see more!

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

That is sick! I (heart) Lidar lol
Lidar will be so widespread there will be small scale trail maps made of it.

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

I'm working with LIDAR data daily and have tried this approach combining orthophoto and LIDAR to some success. It is obvious that the main problem are orthophotho shadows due to northern hemisphere sun orientation (south). I've combined and tried IHS approach (LAB colors), shadow elimination,... The best results are when LIDAR is base for terrain hillshading (DEM) and forest texture (DSM).

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I'd love to lay hands on some raw data to try it... anyone knows where we could find free data? New of old, I don't care, if I can play with it ;)

Thanks!

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • United States

I'd love to lay hands on some raw data to try it... anyone knows where we could find free data? New of old, I don't care, if I can play with it ;)

Thanks!

my local favorite is the Puget Sound LIDAR Consortium

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Thanks!

Be careful for what you ask for! This data is very heavy and there isn't a whole lot of software that can deal with the raw LAS points (yet). We have LP360, but I haven't rolled up my sleeves on that yet. I was using derivative DEM's.

The Lidar I was using came from the Oregon Lidar Consortium. There are some good links to more information from their website.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Be careful for what you ask for! This data is very heavy and there isn't a whole lot of software that can deal with the raw LAS points (yet). We have LP360, but I haven't rolled up my sleeves on that yet. I was using derivative DEM's.

The Lidar I was using came from the Oregon Lidar Consortium. There are some good links to more information from their website.

Thanks Matthew! I can't believe it! I didn't find a single one for my region on the web...

I'm near the end of a Remote Sensing course and we just had 6 hours on radar data... I knew the possibilities were enormous, but I starting to realize what I could do with it...

I'll take a good look at it.

Thanks again!

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Thanks Matthew! I can't believe it! I didn't find a single one for my region on the web...

I'm near the end of a Remote Sensing course and we just had 6 hours on radar data... I knew the possibilities were enormous, but I starting to realize what I could do with it...

I'll take a good look at it.

Thanks again!

I'm working with high density LIDAR data for two years now and I'm still impressed with possibilities that LIDAR can offer. Yesterday I have noticed a deep hole with small footprint in the ground (around 200m below surrounding terrain). First tought was of course that this are some low points (errors) but then I began to wonder. In our Karst such pits or caves are possible. I've checked our cave cadastral data and yes I've scanned one of the most spectacular cave entries (Kacna jama). Obviously helicopter has flown directly above pit and laser has been able to penetrate to the bottom of pit into cave itself (and back:-). I have to mentioned that cave entry is overgrown with bushes and small trees.
LIDAR is very usefull in mapping. In decidious and mixed forest all roads and even more used footpaths can be observed. Rock presentation using LIDAR data is something completly different and an area of my special interest.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->