Greetings from Darwin, Australia

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

kajoh

kajoh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Australia

I'm in the publications and graphic design department of the Northern Territory Geological Survey (Australia). Although I don't have a cartography background (a degree in politics and journalism!) I've been doing a lot of work in Illustrator CS2 and MapInfo creating figures for our publications and have found CartoTalk to be a great source of advice and scripts. I just downloaded Nick's 'Select Text Attributes' script for Illustrator and it's tip top. Anything that automates the process, I'm interested!
Cheers,
Kath (kajoh)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm in the publications and graphic design department of the Northern Territory Geological Survey (Australia). Although I don't have a cartography background (a degree in politics and journalism!) I've been doing a lot of work in Illustrator CS2 and MapInfo creating figures for our publications and have found CartoTalk to be a great source of advice and scripts. I just downloaded Nick's 'Select Text Attributes' script for Illustrator and it's tip top. Anything that automates the process, I'm interested!

Hi Kath, and welcome to Cartotalk.

If you like Nick's script, keep an eye out for Nathaniel Vaughn Kelso's work. He's previewed a text-selection-by-attributes script/plugin that is just awesome. I believe it's due in early 2009.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

We are getting a few Aussies on here now, this is fantastic and welcome!

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Not only that, but I have a notion that there have been a bunch of female new members lately, to weigh up the tilted gender-balance - at least among the regulars.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Not only that, but I have a notion that there have been a bunch of female new members lately, to weigh up the tilted gender-balance - at least among the regulars.

The business of Cartography or GIS is male dominated but we sure have a sizable presence. This is probably because in older times surveyers were primarily males, however with the digital cartography more and more of us will be joining, hopefully :rolleyes:

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Cheers,
Kath (kajoh)

Welcome Darwin, you are infact with an interesting background (Geological Survey) Coz, i like geological maps, me being a geological mapper, always exhited to see someone with the same background...

Cheers mate!!!!
GISGURU

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Welcome Kath—keep an eye out here fo plenty of other tips and inspiration.

We are getting a few Aussies on here now, this is fantastic and welcome!

Fantastic?! :P (Just a little light hearted down-under Trans-Tasman rivalry for those from 'up above')

The Carto team I work for is three and a manager and I'm the only male!
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->