Photo

ColorBrewer 2008 - tell us what you want!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

markharrower

markharrower

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

After 7 years, Cindy Brewer and the team at Axis Maps realized it was time to do some updates to ColorBrewer. Nothing too major - same great color schemes (of course), but a new interface and some new functionality to help ColorBrewer’s 2000+ visitors per week get the most out of the experience. We’re in the early stages of planning this project but we though we would open this up for some discussion amongst the ColorBrewer-using public.

QUESTION: What would you like to see in the new version? What should remain untouched? What do you love? What do you wish was done better?

Let me know your thoughts - mark@axismaps.com, or feel free to post a response here. Thanks!

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

What a great effort!

I have been hoping for the development of a GradientBrewer for mapping concentrations of data or densities (i.e. employment, households, population, rainfall, etc.). Has there been much research as to when it is optimum to use a single, double or multi-color gradient? What color combinations are best? Is the heat-map (or rainbow) gradient the best for all types of density data (Blue-green-yellow-orange-red)?

When displaying gradients, when is it best/worst to use hard visual class breaks or fuzzy gaussian (feathered) breaks. How does draping a semi-transparent gradient onto a hillshade effect the display of data values?

I'm sure that the 'best practices' for coloring data gradients have similar underpinnings to chloropleths, but they are different in some ways and I have been wondering what works best.

Here are a few different trials with respect to mapping household density and employment density.

Attached File  Gradients3.jpg   298.4KB   72 downloads

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->