Photo

Campus Mapping Session Interest at NACIS 2006?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Hello everyone!

I am wondering if any NACIS members in the crowd would feel as though a session or workshop at NACIS 2006 in Madison, WI on various campus mapping issues and design techniques would be of any interest to attendees. I'll be honest and say that I have yet to attend a NACIS meeting (I had some issues about feeling "less than equal" as a graphic designer who makes maps vs. a Geography or Academic Cartography member). However, a few folks off the forum have encouraged me to try and become active in the association....and thought that a session on campus mapping might be a nice way for me to introduce myself to the larger group and establishing a very positive rapport with other attendees.

Do folks think that having a session specifically discussing the issue of campus mapping would be of interest to attendees? Would other firms that produce campus maps as a significant portion of their revenues be interested in serving as "co-presenters" or as a part of some type of panel discussion? I'm open to any and all ideas that people may have.

Thanks!

Derek
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Derek,

I can assure you that NACIS is far from stuffy or academic. I would suggest you come to SLC this year to get a feel for the conference, you won't regret it and it will put you in a better place to participate in a session next year and to start developping that rapport. You could also come drinking..I mean discuss map issues with the Cartotalk folks....

mg

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Derek,

I can assure you that NACIS is far from stuffy or academic.  I would suggest you come to SLC this year to get a feel for the conference, you won't regret it and it will put you in a better place to participate in a session next year and to start developping that rapport.  You could also come drinking..I mean discuss map issues with the Cartotalk folks....

mg

I would welcome the chance to attend the Salt Lake City conference next month! However, I promised my wife that I would stick close to home this fall...as we are only a few months away from the birth of our second child. We lost a child in the second trimester last fall, so I promised her that I wouldn't stray TOO far from home this fall/winter as we wait on our son or daughter to make their big entrance into the world. I was in San Diego at a conference 1-2 weeks ago, and even in early September she asked me to come home a day early! I think a mid-October conference in Utah would probably have me sleeping on the couch when I got home..... :P
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com

natehaas

natehaas

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States
I bet NACIS is one of the most laidback conferences you will ever attend.

And consider enlarging the session's scope. I only think of colleges and universities when I see the phrase "campus maps". Or maybe try giving some compelling perspective on the lessons you've learned.

Good luck to you and yours!

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Nate,

Thanks for the feedback! Actually, my thought was to try and offer a session with a very narrow focus, rather than something "generic" that might apply to a broad array of mapping services. I always think that more-meaningful dialogue and ideas result from having very thorough discussions of very narrowly-defined topics (as opposed to the other way around). I also assume that a large majority of attendees at a session such as this would either be academics or designers who offer campus mapping as one of their broader collection of overall services.

Maybe my thought process is off a bit within the NACIS group, as I have yet to attend one of their annual conferences. However, I would generally assume that a very focused and thoughtful discussion of a particular style of mapping would be more useful in the long run. Too often, I attend workshops at other conferences where they try too cover too broad of a topic in too little time. I'd try and focus on 1-2 specific areas with the limited time we would have, then hopefully spark lots of meaningful dialogue from people who are sincerely interested in the particular topic at hand (even if that meant a smaller number of attendees within the session itself).

My $0.02. :)

Derek
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com

EcoGraphic

EcoGraphic

Master Contributor

• Links Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:landscape architecture,cartography,information architecture,wayfinding,landscape archaeology,cultural landscapes,sustainable design,visual journalism,travel writing,photography,illustration,languages
  • Canada

I think a session on campus map design is a great idea! They did a little bit on creating 3D buildings in Illustrator during practical cartography day this year, and everyone was extremely interested.

Gillian
Gillian Auld
EcoGraphic Design
www.EcoGraphic.ca

Design is the intermediary between information and understanding
Richard Grefe

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  • United States

Echoing the other replies:
NACIS is far from stuffy and people don't stand on ceremony. It is a very diverse group of people with a common interest (and passion) in maps and cartography. You will find it is a very welcoming group of interesting people. :)
If the content has anything to do with maps the session will likely be well-attended and not neccessarily only by people actively involved with campus mapping.
One thing you might find helpful is to look at the NACIS meeting program on-line, if you haven't already done so. That will give you some idea of the broad range of topics covered in the meetings.
If you present it they will come. :)
In fact, in a recent meeting, as I recall, Shaun Faith and Jim Sloan of Penn State did present information about the Penn State campus mapping transition from Illustrator into GIS.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Thanks for the feedback, Gillian and DaveB! We'll see if I/we can make this type of session happen next year. I've talked to a couple of people about possibly co-presenting as well! I absolutely love the very narrow design niche of campus mapping, and will talk people's ears off on the subject if they want me to! :P
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->