Belated Introduction

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

saffrongraphics

saffrongraphics

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Illustration, cartography, painting, website design, archaeology, biological anthropology, geography, anatomy<br />
  • New Zealand

Hi All.

Sorry for the belated introduction. I've been lurking for a little while now and had gotten it into my head I'd already introduced myself. Scrolling through the intros today made it quite apparent that I haven't.

My name is Tracy and I'm a university illustrator/cartographer/graphic designer (even my HoD gets confused as to what I am). I work in the Geography Department at The University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand. They've usually got me drawing maps and diagrams for publications and lectures, and the occasional bit of advertising work. My tools are primarily Freehand, Illustrator and Photoshop. My HoD recently warned me that he's thinking of luring me into taking a GIS course, so I may end up lurking here for help a little in the near future.

I also work part time as a freelance illustrator and painter. I've had an online presence for a long time under the guise of "saffrongraphics" and have produced material such as application interface icons through to portrait paintings. My "pen name" is Saffron.

I'm really pleased this forum exists, it provides an invaluable service and helps remind cartographers that they're not alone! Recently a professor from a university further north said to one of our professors, upon being introduced to me, "Oh, wow. So you still have a cartographer? We don't." Ah, feel the love, right? We seem to be a dying breed in my country, what with students being trained to make their own maps. My dept knew for certain they needed me when journal editors started telling professors to "Get a professional to make the maps!"

Here's hoping I one day get to meet some of you.
Cheers,
T.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Tracy, and welcome to Cartotalk! Feel free to post some of your material in the Map Gallery.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Tracy (Saffron) - Nice to meet you. Welcome. Looking forward to seeing your work in the Gallery B)

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Saffron,

Welcome to Cartotalk! It's nice to round out the membership with someone from down-under.

Dunedin sounds like a nice place and your jobs sounds like you have lots of room for creativity.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->