14 replies to this topic

Dale Sanderson

Dale Sanderson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • United States

I couldn't make it to NACIS this year, so I was wondering if anyone would care to post a recap... or maybe just highlight some things that stood out for you personally. One thing in particular I was curious about: I had been hearing NACIS 2009 was slated to be held in State College, but I think someone recently posted something about Sacramento...
Dale Sanderson
professionally: cartographics manager for Dex One
personally: cartophile and road-geek (my website)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Yes, NACIS 2009 is going to be in Sacramento.

As for this year, it was a good show. Interesting accomodation, downtown Missoula (which is actually a very nice town), Mapgiving was very interesting and I really hope it'll become a regular thing.

One presentation that really inspired me this time was the one Matthew did on his Texel (Texture Element) technique. I was also very impressed with the poster display and the student poster competition. There were some really high quality posters there and I'm hoping some of them (hint hint) will be shown in the Map Gallery here.

Unfortunately my own presentation didn't go as well as I had hoped :( Had some trouble the days before so my preparation was pretty much non-existant.

The excursion to Glacier NP was very cool (and cold).

Anyway, that's my mini-review :) Looking forward to next year.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Dale,

I also got to experience my own personal "Bill Gates blue screen of death" moment in Missoula during Practical Cartography Day too! <_< Had my laptop humming, 6-8 apps running, Skype active and chatting with my co-presenter for my session. We then hooked me up to the two LCDs in the room during a break and tested everything....all good to go. About five minutes before my session started, we started to lose signals with the LCDs. One would go blue....the other would go blue....BOTH would go blue! We thought we finally got it working so I started the session. NOPE....still going in and out of connecting to the LCDs...to the point where the session ground to a halt and then we had to take it out back and put it out of it's misery.

Everybody blamed Windows Vista, of course! However, two presenters after me, he had the SAME problem having the LCDs displaying his screen...on a Mac with OSX. ;) Oh well....it would have been a great session, but I guess it just wasn't meant to be. I was bummed out as my co-presenter out in Indianapolis would have done an awesome job showing people some of the cool things that can be done using Google SketchUp....with me following that up with 2-3 cool things that you can do with a finished .skp file. Maybe some other time...assuming they ever invite me back! :P
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Its going to be in Hang-Town? 10 minutes from home. I just might make my 1st NACIS meeting!

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Its going to be in Hang-Town? 10 minutes from home. I just might make my 1st NACIS meeting!

It's only 10 minutes away when traffic at Mace and the Causeway isn't backed up. Otherwise that's a half hour!

It will be held at the Holiday Inn (do I see a trend here?) at Old Sac. Don't speak too loudly though about being so close, Dennis and Lou will be volunteering you to help organize it.
Rick Dey

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Sorry you couldn't make it this year, Dale.

I second Hans' comment about Matt Hampton's texel presentation. Cool technique and excellent presentation.
Mapgiving was fun. It was great to get a chance to work with so many excellent cartographers in 1 room (even if it was a long night)! If you go to the mapgiving blog you can find links to the final maps (2 for print, 1 for web).
Missoula was pretty nice (although it snowed a bit on the Sunday after!) and very walkable.
For me the many presentations on histoical maps and mapping history were interesting.
And getting a chance to talk to various mappers, between sessions, at meals, in the hospitality suite (felt a bit sorry for people in rooms nearby who were disturbed by the noise - nothing very wild, just lots of conversation in one room).
Of course, Geodweeb Geopardy is always fun. :D
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Sorry you couldn't make it this year, Dale.

I second Hans' comment about Matt Hampton's texel presentation. Cool technique and excellent presentation.

Hmmm texel? Can I ask someone who was there to describe a little bit what texels are about?

Thank you

Lui

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

Hmmm texel? Can I ask someone who was there to describe a little bit what texels are about?

from wikipedia:
Texel may refer to :
Texel, an island and municipality of the Netherlands on the North Sea, not to be confused with the island of Texa in Scotland.
Texel (sheep), a sheep which originally came from this island
Texel (graphics), for texture element or texture pixel, the fundamental unit of texture space used in computer graphics.
Texel Guinea Pig, a domestic variety of guinea pig.

Matt's presentation referred to the computer graphics sense of the word. He used textures for water, tree cover, etc., to add texture to some of his maps. It adds a bit of visual interest and "reality" somewhat like bump-mapping. That's a very quick and dirty explanation and I hope I didn't mangle it too much. Probably Matt will add his own response and make this concept clearer... ;)
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

using texels to enhance my pixtures sounds intriguing. perhaps Matt can post more here for those not in attendance at his seemingly interesting session. ;)

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

What is all this about presentations and sessions and stuff - are you going to share the what really happened in the hospitality suite past midnight???
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

What is all this about presentations and sessions and stuff - are you going to share the what really happened in the hospitality suite past midnight???

Sorry, what happens in the hospitality suite stays in the hospitality suite... :P
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Sorry, what happens in the hospitality suite stays in the hospitality suite... :P

Or overflowed to the room next door!
Rick Dey

Derek Tonn

Derek Tonn

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • United States

Now THAT'S the correct answer....lol.

CHEECH AND CHONG
<Knock-knock-knock.....>

Yeah, who is it?

<It's me....Dave! Let me in!>

....Dave's not here.

<No man, it's ME....DAVE! Open the door and let me in, man!>

....Dave's not here.

:D
Derek Tonn
Founder and CEO
mapformation, LLC

datonn@mapformation.com
http://www.mapformation.com

Kevin McManigal

Kevin McManigal

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, kayaking, backpacking, biking, traveling, sking, mountaineering, guitar playing, laughing, and of course, map makking! (and all the other &quot;ing's&quot;)
  • United States

Hospitality 11:30 PM, 40+ people in one room, very loud

Phone: Ring.....Ring-----SHuuuu, Shushhhhh!! Everyone goes silent

Cartographer: (picks up Phone) Hello

Front Desk: We have complaints of a loud party.

Carto: "No, no noise here, all is peaceful" (Suppressed snikkers from the crowd)

FD: Can you here anything on your floor?

Carto: Nothing at all, you must have the wrong room. OK, good night.

Room explodes into laughter and merryment. Continues for hours!!
Kevin McManigal
Orange Peel Cartographic
MapPractical

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I thought there were way more than 40 people in there at that time, but other than that, certainly a great moment :D
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->