- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Bweisss

Bweisss

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hi there. I'm making a map that shows various tow zones for the state of Oregon and I need to include on the map mile markers listed in 5 mile increments. I have mile marker data for the state but the data is in 1 mile increments. What would be the easiest way to automate this process? There's two fields listing mile marker data, one has mile marks with two decimel points that aren't exact (eg milepost 8 = 7.99) and the other contains the string MILEPOST X.00 X being the mile number, always ending in 00. How would you query out 5 mile increments. Or would I be better off using some kind of linear referencing tool on the highway shapefile? I'm pretty amateur so try to be as descriptive as possible. Thanks

Oh yeah, and i'm using arcInfo 9 at the moment

Edited by Bweisss, 28 October 2008 - 12:23 PM.

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Hi there. I'm making a map that shows various tow zones for the state of Oregon and I need to include on the map mile markers listed in 5 mile increments. I have mile marker data for the state but the data is in 1 mile increments. What would be the easiest way to automate this process? There's two fields listing mile marker data, one has mile marks with two decimel points that aren't exact (eg milepost 8 = 7.99) and the other contains the string MILEPOST X.00 X being the mile number, always ending in 00. How would you query out 5 mile increments. Or would I be better off using some kind of linear referencing tool on the highway shapefile? I'm pretty amateur so try to be as descriptive as possible. Thanks

I would suggest using mod function with if statment: if (MOD(MILEPOST,5)=0) then MILESTATUS = 1 ELSE MILESTATUS = 0. The statment has to be ported to ArcInfo enviroment.

Just my 0.02$
Lui

Bweisss

Bweisss

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I would suggest using mod function with if statment: if (MOD(MILEPOST,5)=0) then MILESTATUS = 1 ELSE MILESTATUS = 0. The statment has to be ported to ArcInfo enviroment.

Just my 0.02$
Lui

Where would I input that statement? Can you be really specific, step by step if possible?

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I used FME for this, roughly the same situation, grabbing 5 km markers from a set of 100 m markers. Used a regular expression to search for any distance values ending in 0.0 or 5.0, then somehow filterd out half of them (there's markers on either side of the road of course... but we only needed one dot on the map) worked a charm. If you email me your data (shapefile), I can do this for you.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Just my 0.02$
Lui

I do not know about the specific shp file and the data. The MOD statement suggested by Lui should work in the SELECT tool of EXTRACT toolbox in ArcGIS 9.x. In the SELECT tool, you will have INPUT feature (the original feature of Milepost points), the OUPUT feature (say 5MilePts) and in the EXPRESSION box click on SQL and create expression using the MOD statement. I hope that helps.

You can send me the shp file and I will look at it, if Hans has not already sent you the solution.

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

Jonathan S

Jonathan S

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United States

The data you are talking about is milepost data, not milepoints. The reason you are seeing 7.99 instead of 8 is because it is the the milepoint in which the physical milepost sign is located at. Sometimes these signs get knocked down and a maintenance crew comes out and puts the post close to but not at the exact mile mark. Or perhaps a stream or bridge is located at a whole number milepoint so the post is placed further down the road. I know this does not solve your problem, but I want you to know what the data you are using is representing.

If you give ODOT's GIS Unit a call they may be able to give you 5 mile marker data. This would be less work then having to try to query out every 5 mile mark.
Jon

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->