10 replies to this topic

JoshW

JoshW

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Canada

Hello,

My name is Josh and I am a second year Cartography student at COGS in Nova Scotia and yes it is still as challenging as previous years lol. One of our teachers suggested this site, so here I am. I finished my first year at COGS 5 years ago, then after the one year I went out in the real world in which I worked at the Nova Scotia Geomatics Center for the past 4 years working on NSCAF, and now I am back to finish my Cartography program.

Well, I can't wait to see the information that this site has to offer.

Thanks,
Josh Wry

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hello and welcome! I am sure you'll find plenty of interesting stuff here. Please feel free to ask if you need any assistance and help.

Cheers,
Hugo
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Hello,

My name is Josh and I am a second year Cartography student at COGS in Nova Scotia and yes it is still as challenging as previous years lol. One of our teachers suggested this site, so here I am. I finished my first year at COGS 5 years ago, then after the one year I went out in the real world in which I worked at the Nova Scotia Geomatics Center for the past 4 years working on NSCAF, and now I am back to finish my Cartography program.

Thanks,
Josh Wry

Hi Josh;

That puts you all the way back in 2003 if I'm correct. I graduated in 2004, (had to repeat major topo project after failing it in 2003), with your ex-class mates, & one of them is working at the local research station in Kentville as a GIS technician. So you think the program is tough now wait until you produce your major thematic & especially your topographic project. ;) You see about four of the students from your first year in 2003 failed the topographic project. So I hope you have fun. :lol:

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

JoshW

JoshW

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Canada

Hello,

Thanks,
Josh Wry

Hi Josh;

That puts you all the way back in 2003 if I'm correct. I graduated in 2004, (had to repeat major topo project after failing it in 2003), with your ex-class mates, & one of them is working at the local research station in Kentville as a GIS technician. So you think the program is tough now wait until you produce your major thematic & especially your topographic project. ;) You see about four of the students from your first year in 2003 failed the topographic project. So I hope you have fun. :lol:

Good day,

Yea my first year was 2003 -2004. After being out in the work force I am pretty confiedent, that l will do just fine. We are currently working on our Major Thematic Map (Organic Farming in Nova Scotia) and a topo project in Microstation (Jasper). I find this year alot of fun but still challenging.

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Welcome Josh. Pass the word around!

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hello,

My name is Josh ........ I finished my first year at COGS 5 years ago, then after the one year I went out in the real world ............

Wow, this is great about Western Universities. One can just leave a program midway, work and earn and then join back again. But the Indian Universities, well it is kinda Hotel California, "You can check in any time... but you can never leave". Well it is not that you can not leave but leave at your peril as no one's gonna give you a job.

And it is great that your teacher suggested you to join the forum. It is real great education system that you guys have. Welcome to Cartotalk.

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

JoshW

JoshW

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Canada

Wow, this is great about Western Universities. One can just leave a program midway.......

ProMapper

It was definitely, in my opinion, the best thing I could have done. It prepared me in so many ways as well expanded my skill set before I finish my final year in Cartography. Right now, not only am I confident in my studies, I am also able to help others around the school that is in need of help.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Wow, this is great about Western Universities. One can just leave a program midway.......

ProMapper

It was definitely, in my opinion, the best thing I could have done. It prepared me in so many ways as well expanded my skill set before I finish my final year in Cartography. Right now, not only am I confident in my studies, I am also able to help others around the school that is in need of help.

At the end of your course the instructors are going to ask the graduating students some suggestions on how to improve the cartography course, I strongly recommend that you emphasize that the program must adapt to the changing times. You see design is a very important aspect of cartography but with the changing climate towards the web it is ever increasingly necessary to have more studies in web based mapping applications such as Google Maps & IMS. Of course that means making both the cartography & planning programs less artistic & a lot more technical.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

JoshW

JoshW

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Canada

At the end of your course the instructors are going to ask the graduating students ..........

Actual we are working with Google next semester :) as well web, which incorporates the use of Flash CS3. IMO, I think they are doing pretty good for keeping up with the changing skills in the working world. Since Arc9.3 now has their first service pack out we will be switching to that next semester too. :)

Josh

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  • Canada

At the end of your course the instructors are going to ask the graduating students ..........

Actual we are working with Google next semester :) as well web, which incorporates the use of Flash CS3. IMO, I think they are doing pretty good for keeping up with the changing skills in the working world. Since Arc9.3 now has their first service pack out we will be switching to that next semester too. :)

Josh

Am I correct to assume that Flash CS3 & Google Maps are modules within a course called cartographic techniques? Because that's not enough from the stand point if any student wants to freelance even if it's part time. I'm assuming it's using Flash CS3 to create Google Maps, you see on the thread New Classroom-based Cartography Course we discussed with cloverman what a cartography program should incorporate.

Now I think it's good news that you are going to learn flash, I'm considering the $570 USD price tag to get the upgrade from Design Standard CS3 to Web Premium CS4 when the profits permit. I would strongly recommend that since you are going to learn Flash you should also migrate away from CorelDraw towards Illustrator. I'm pretty sure you know that Illy is the standard drawing package cartographers use. ;)

Cartogirl

Cartogirl

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Canada

Hey Josh,

Welcome to CartoTalk. I graduated from Cartography in 2007 and Marine Geomatics this past June. I think it is great that Piers is still sending people to this site. Having been in MGEO for the past year I have become a bit rusty with the GIS side of things and love that I can ask a question here and get the answers I need.

How are the papers going this term for Dave??? lol. The topo for Piers is not too bad this term, as I found Microstation went smoothly once everything was set up. Next terms Topo however is a bit of a kick in the pants. lol. I would suggest not putting it off while working on Ada'a Thematic. You should pass that off to Matt, Colin and Robin as well.
If you have any questions about 2nd year Carto let me know.

Let Dave, Ada and Piers know I said hey.

Cheers

Robyn Clements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->