josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Hello,

I have a polygon which I have made in ArcGIS, lets say it is a danger zone. Around this polygon (or danger zone) I would like to make a perimeter around it which extends out from the edge of the danger zone by 50 km. How can I make a sort of buffer zone aound my polygon. It needs to be the same irregular shape but I can't seem to use the buffer tool. I thus thought I could make another polygon which has a larger area than the present one by a specified amount. So basically a box around a box, but the edges must be 50km apart exactly all the way around.

Thanks

josie

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

Buffering smoothes the shapes - so if you wan't the new edge to be exactly 50km from the base shape you'll get a smoother line :)
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

I tried to use the create buffer in the command line but it didnt work. Any idea why? It said it was to do with license version.

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

I tried to use the create buffer in the command line but it didnt work. Any idea why? It said it was to do with license version.

What license level do you have? Some tools are restricted to higher license levels.
What kind of data are you using (coverage? geodatabase? shapefile? other?) With lower license levels you can't do some things with some data types.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I agree, the buffer tool is it. This will make a similar shape that does not intersect or otherwise go right into the danger zone.
Any old Arcview 3.x license has this function.

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

You need an ArcInfo license to create a flat buffer.

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Ok thanks. I believe this is the problem then as the message that I get says something to do with licensing. Is there anyway to create just another polygon which is exactly 500m outwards around the perimeter of the original polygon? So it looks like a buffer but actually isn't?

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

Do post your shapefile and I'll do it for you. Or even better mail me at: mika at miiz dot waw dot pl
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

You need an ArcInfo license to create a flat buffer.

Josie, do you really need to do a flat buffer around your area? For what I understand, the "standard" round one would do what you need...

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Well the problem is that it needs to have a visible area around the shape which is the buffer zone, so that it is visible on the map. Also, 'technically' it neas to be 500m out from every edge so a general buffer is not ideal. Although if it is possible to make it visible around the area then it may do for now. However, this is what I am a little stuck with.

PS Thanks MIKA I will send it over today at some point and you can see what you think.

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Good!!!
Mika keep it up..

Well the problem is that it needs to have a visible area around the shape which is the buffer zone, so that it is visible on the map. Also, 'technically' it neas to be 500m out from every edge so a general buffer is not ideal. Although if it is possible to make it visible around the area then it may do for now. However, this is what I am a little stuck with.

PS Thanks MIKA I will send it over today at some point and you can see what you think.

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

jennastics

jennastics

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

HELLO, ALL! I thought I'd use this thread to ask a similar question...

I know how to apply buffers around lines/polygons/points... Here's my question:

Is there a way to make buffers that have different measurements around the the shape your buffering? So, like elipse or even Mickey Mouse™ shaped buffers.

Say you have a point that needs to have a 300m buffer to the north and northeast, and 500m to other directions.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Is there a way to make buffers that have different measurements around the the shape your buffering? So, like elipse or even Mickey Mouse™ shaped buffers.

Say you have a point that needs to have a 300m buffer to the north and northeast, and 500m to other directions.

I've once created an FME custom transformer that creates buffers of different sizes to the left and right of a line: SidedBufferer
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

jennastics

jennastics

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

I've once created an FME custom transformer that creates buffers of different sizes to the left and right of a line: SidedBufferer

Thank you SO MUCH! :)

jennastics

jennastics

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • United States

Ok, another question (this board has been the most useful thing, and I'm so grateful):

Can you assign buffers to JUST selected features WITHIN a shapefile? Or, do you have to extract those features and create shapefiles seperately? And, if so... how do you do that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->