• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

" LONDON, England (CNN) -- It is being billed as the ultimate book about the world and it is something of a landmark in its own right. "Earth" -- the biggest atlas ever to be published -- promises to be a luxurious benchmark in cartography.
"Earth" is the largest atlas ever produced and weighs over 30 kilos.

"Earth" is the largest atlas ever produced and weighs over 30 kilos.
more photos »

Created by Millennium House, "Earth" -- complete with a clam shell case -- measures 610 x 469 millimeters and weighs in at over 30 kilos.

The price is pretty hefty too. The leather bound, gilt-edged book will set you back around $3500..."

http://www.cnn.com/2...tlas/index.html

Anyone want to pitch in...cartotalk community earth atlas ;)

p.s. curious if any of our members worked on this atlas...if so, would love to hear about your experience
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I worked on this one, did 80+ maps of various islands and island groups around Africa, South America and in the Pacific. Got some samples here: Portfolio - Earth

It was fun to work on, a lot of research into some of the most remote and unheard of little island groups. Also, I think the final product will be awesome. Haven't seen a full-size real one yet, but saw the mock-up in London last February and that was pretty spectacular.

I know Damien Demaj (Cartobendigo) was heavily involved in its production too (he was my direct contact re. the map work).
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

I think a few here did—I know I did some data wrangling and some initial Maplex label placement before it went to Illy Geograpx here also did a lot of work, and as Hans said Damien Demaj (Cartobendigo on here) had what can only imagine would of been a mammoth task of coordinating the cartographic work required.

Was also involved in some Index QA which was an interesting experience—amazing how often the same names pop up across South America.

There's also a concise version available which I believe is more like the Times Atlas and I imagine a similar price point—shame I'll never see a large copy. I wonder if a copy will actually make it to New Zealand.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Nice to see that paper atlases are not dead yet. There's nothing like spending a few hours pouring over a well made atlas. Just so you know, I wouldn't mind one fro Christmas . . . .

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

This atlas is going to be absolutely gorgeous,

I am very pleased to say that I have worked with Millennium House and Damien on this one!
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I did a 176 pages (110 maps) atlas once and I was the only cartographer (don't want to steal the focus here, I just proud of the result ;) ). I know the amount of job required... I took me two years and gave me a lot of headaches!

That's an incredible job folks!

Congratulations!!!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • United States

Oh yeah, there were fliers announcing the upcoming release of this at NACIS a couple of years ago. Would be cool to see it in person. Humongous atlas, just hope it doesn't fall over! :o
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Oh yeah, there were fliers announcing the upcoming release of this at NACIS a couple of years ago. Would be cool to see it in person. Humongous atlas, just hope it doesn't fall over! :o

Posted Image If it tipped over I am sure it would squash that little bugger! :blink:

But seriously, about that christmas present...

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

If it tipped over I am sure it would squash that little bugger! :blink:

Dont worry, it's ATLAS... still doing what he does best
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Just picked up the Concise version yesterday and it looks good—small text but still quite readable and a whole lot of textual info which is all nicely laid out. But man that was big and heavy enough to carry across town—twice the size of any other atlas' I have.

BTW some good pictures of the large one here.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

cartobendigo

cartobendigo

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Australia

Hi All,

I read with interest all your comments regarding EARTH. The project has been an enormous achievement for Millennium House and all the cartographers, editors and geographers involved in the project. I was the Chief Cartographic Consultant on the project and was responsible for co-ordinating all the mapping for the book and trying to keep the project on track (which as some of you will know it wasn't always smooth sailing!). A big thanks to those carto's from CartoTalk that assisted in putting the book together. You know who you were! Your support and assistance was greatly appreciated.

I have recently seen the book at the Frankfurt book fair and the response from other publishers and the general public was fantastic. The size and weight of the atlas is truly amazing. It is impossibly big!!

I like to point out (for those of you that have read the CNN article) that Global Mapping only provided a select number of maps for the book. They did NOT bring all the data together making sure every detail was consistent (like they said they did). John Frith (Flat Earth Mapping) and I did this. Just thought I'd clear that up.

Regards,
Damien Demaj
DEMAP
www.demap.com.au

Edited by frax, 23 October 2008 - 02:11 AM.
Deleted duplicate post

Damien Demaj
www.demap.com.au

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Damien, for what I've seen, you've done a wonderful job. I only hope I could see one for real once!

Ted Florence

Ted Florence

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  • Interests:Making great mapping software.
  • Canada

If any of you cartographers out there who worked on this Atlas used MAPublisher and/or Geographic Imager at all in any part of your workflow we'd love to hear about it.
Kindly let us know by replying to this post or by emailing info@avenza.com
Thanks
Ted

Ted Florence

Avenza Systems Inc.

When Map Quality Matters ®

www.avenza.com

Cartographic and spatial imaging solutions for Adobe Creative Suite

Mobile mapping solutions for using, selling and distributing maps to mobile devices

mp_logo.gif    gi_logo.gifpdf-maps-icon.png

spesseh

spesseh

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Norway

Amazing work people. When will this be available in Europe?
I want one for Christmas!
Andreas

Visit my Blog: http://www.gisintersect.com

M.Denil

M.Denil

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • United States

Didn't Ortelius or someone make an atlas for a royal or imperial patron with a 5 or 6 foot long binding?
That would have been a hefty tome as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->