• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Vassilis

Vassilis

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

I have problem to split lines, I have a shp file with lines (roads) and a polygon file (municipalities), I want to break the lines (roads) in border of polygon. I try split and identity but nothing, any suggestions or ideas?
I use Arcgis 9.2

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

yia sou Vassilis! I am not sure but maybe you can use the explode tools in advanced editing. I believe this will allow you to separate features. If you select the features you want to edit, then begin editing and then under advanced editing 'explode'.

Vassilis

Vassilis

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Greece

yia sou Vassilis! I am not sure but maybe you can use the explode tools in advanced editing. I believe this will allow you to separate features. If you select the features you want to edit, then begin editing and then under advanced editing 'explode'.

(Γεια σου = yia sou :D ) josie and thank you for your reply, it does n ’t help me the explode funcion.
I try Intersect, but the lines were 7.000 and after Intersect were about 300.000, and some of them were duplicated. I try erasing to but didn’t work to….
Any ideas (ιδέες);

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

I have problem to split lines, I have a shp file with lines (roads) and a polygon file (municipalities), I want to break the lines (roads) in border of polygon. I try split and identity but nothing, any suggestions or ideas?
I use Arcgis 9.2

Maybe try Union... I may need to polygon shp... I not sure...

Maybe with Clip, but you'll erase what's outside your polygons... You'd need another polygon, the "negative" of your first one to re-Clip your roads and then combine the two clipped files...

In MapInfo, it's a single split... Maybe I could help you if you don't find an answer in Arc...

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Identity didn't work for you? What you describe is what identity is supposed to do.

I did a quick experiment. I took a poly shapefile and a line shapefile and used the identity overlay tool found under "Analysis Tools" in ArcToolbox. I have an ArcInfo license, but since I'm working with shapefiles I don't think I need one.

That tool split the lines where they cross the edge of the polygon.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->