3 replies to this topic

Maisie

Maisie

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • United States
Hello, colleagues, I joined the forum last night.

I have been a traditional cartographer for many years. Just how many? Astralon, Zipatone, Leroy lettering and Rubylith should give you an idea.
For most of that time I worked for the company that developed into Mapquest. We phased in to computer mapping when Illustrator could first place type along a path, version 3.2 (around 1990). There were no layers in the software yet, and you had to do everything in "artwork" rather than "preview" mode.

I tried it, but found the GIS hemisphere of my brain is withered and dull, so I am sticking with the Art side of cartography, rather than the Science. Perhaps I am on the path to extinction.

For the past few years I have been freelancing, now essentially part-time. The biggest challenge is in keeping up with the changes in software and technology. And, as a one-Mac shop, being able to pay for them.

I am delighted to find this forum!

Maisie
(aka Martha Tyzenhouse, dba MapStudio)

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,862 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Martha, glad to have you aboard!
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Mike H

Mike H

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • United States

Greeting Maisie,

So you are a GeoSystems Survivor! I did freelance for them in the 90s, for both the Maryland and Lancaster divisions for Matt Tharp and Jenine Shonta, perhaps we have mutual colleagues? I greatly enjoy both of those folks expertise and design eye, although I've lost track of J9 since she went to Chicago w/ Rand McN, if memory serves me... which it often does not...

I don't think the Art path leads to extinction, although I'm still awaiting the renaissance!

m.
Michael Hermann
mike [at] purplelizard.com

www.purplelizard.com

melon_mapper

melon_mapper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts-I am a 3rd degree Black Belt and run my own program through the local park and rec department<br>NASCAR<br>Footbal (Badgers and Packers)<br>My kids and my family<br>I was just intorduced to geocaching<br>
  • United States
Welcome and I do remember the days of scribing, stick up type, rubylith, peelcoats and ziptones, compositing negatives together, proofing. Some days I miss them.

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->