3 replies to this topic

josie

josie

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Netherlands

Hello. I am importing a dxf into arcmap. However, when I import it, it is miles off. It doesn't seem to work if I try and georeference it using the georeferencing tools. I haven't imported from autocad befor so I'm sure there is a simple explanation but I can't see it at this moment. :)

Also, speaking of georeferencing. Yesterday I was georeferencing something just fine. And then the blue control lines began to appear, and they would not leave and also they were no longer actually working. They were just making lines but not actually repositioning anything. Does anyone know if I may have accidently changed a setting?

Thanks

Josie

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

Well, if your CAD drawing is surveyed it should be in some sort of a projection, and this projection needs to be the same in your Arcmap document as well. Maybe look at the coordinates inside AutoCAD, see if they're in meters, or some unit, or simply some arbitrary model space.

If that's the case georeferencing should work. I've had georeferencing act erratically before, to solve I made a new map document from scratch and re-imported the layer that I needed to position.

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

What type of data is it and where did it come from?

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

With your post, i understand that their is a miss placement of co-ordinates, that means, as mentioned below, the projection variation could be one (one) of the cause or else you are not choosing the right precisions to perform a good transformation.
Coz i have been doing it for years and so far i haven't experienced one.
If needed you can send your dxf file to my personal email id, i can see if i can help you.

Reach me at c_cnxn at yahoo co in

Hello. I am importing a dxf into arcmap. However, when I import it, it is miles off. It doesn't seem to work if I try and georeference it using the georeferencing tools. I haven't imported from autocad befor so I'm sure there is a simple explanation but I can't see it at this moment. :)

Also, speaking of georeferencing. Yesterday I was georeferencing something just fine. And then the blue control lines began to appear, and they would not leave and also they were no longer actually working. They were just making lines but not actually repositioning anything. Does anyone know if I may have accidently changed a setting?

Thanks

Josie

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->