10 replies to this topic

vhramos

vhramos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Guatemala

I'm going to make a map of Tikal, a very important archaeological site in Guatemala and I'm wondering if someone can give me good examples of representations of archaeological sites in panoramic maps. This site is almost all forested so I'll have to use some transparency if I decide to keep the structures under the canopy and any example of such a situation would be very valuable for me. Thanks in advance for any help.

VHR

Mark Mahaffey

Mark Mahaffey

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:History, Mapmaking, Boardgaming, Video Editing, Writing, Ultimate Frisbee, Soccer, Flutes.
  • United States

I'm actually doing something similar with Machu Picchu, and would also be interested. However, I'm afraid a lot of searching (for illustrative cartography of archaeological sites) earlier this month yielded few results...

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Are you working with GPR / Lidar data?
or is this going to be a vector drawing?
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

vhramos

vhramos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Guatemala

Are you working with GPR / Lidar data?
or is this going to be a vector drawing?

We have vectors, including contours and some details in the buildings. It looks like not much on this subject . . .

VHR

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi - I am not sure what you mean by "panoramic maps" - do you mean an oblique view? I would suggest you look at some of the US Park service stuff, maybe? (don't know how much of that is available online though)
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Also am a bit unsure what your are after but this could be a useful article—is the first one that comes to mind in relation to archaeological sites and panoramic maps. While not being your topic as such it does feature some very nice examples of large scale oblique views including buildings and other structures. I think a lot of it could translate to what I imagine you are trying to show.

Cheers and let us know how you get on.

Sam
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

vhramos

vhramos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Guatemala

Also am a bit unsure what your are after but this could be a useful article—is the first one that comes to mind in relation to archaeological sites and panoramic maps. While not being your topic as such it does feature some very nice examples of large scale oblique views including buildings and other structures. I think a lot of it could translate to what I imagine you are trying to show.

Cheers and let us know how you get on.

Sam

Sorry for my english. Yes I´m talking about oblique views. I´ll post any drafts and thanks for your help.

VHR

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

Hi Vhramos,
This is part of a panoramic map for a zoo I did once. In it there was a small detail of a (fake) archeological site for children to play in. (I enlarged it to be clearer)
It might provide an inspiration....You could envision a relatively plain panoramic jungle landscape with various 'hollowed-out' sections or clearings in which you would lay specific illustrations. Would be a fascinating piece to work on.
Attached File  zoomap.jpg   409.69KB   167 downloads
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

This is part of a panoramic map for a zoo I did once.

Excellent panorama map, Jean-Louis!

For Tikal/archeological site map inspiration I'm sure National Geographic has done some in the past...
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

vhramos

vhramos

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Guatemala

Thanks to all and in particular to Jean-Louis. I´ll be posting drafts in a few days.

VHRamos

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 689 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi Vhramos,
This is part of a panoramic map for a zoo I did once. In it there was a small detail of a (fake) archeological site for children to play in. (I enlarged it to be clearer)
It might provide an inspiration....You could envision a relatively plain panoramic jungle landscape with various 'hollowed-out' sections or clearings in which you would lay specific illustrations. Would be a fascinating piece to work on.
Attached File  zoomap.jpg   409.69KB   167 downloads

Hey! It's Granby Zoo! ;) I took one for my collection last winter when we visited it!

I wonder where I put it... Oh yeah, that's why I didn't post a picture of my work environment a couple months back... I'm ashamed of the mess! :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->