- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

wookie

wookie

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United Kingdom

I have some data for Turkey, and I know it is in Gauss-Kruger TM, with ED50 datum. I need to define the projection for the data in ArcGIS.

The problem is that I don't know what zones each data layer is in. Is there a map available somewhere, where I can check which GK zones are where in Turkey? There are options of ED50 GK 9-15 in ArcGIS, but I don't know which to assign. Any help would be appreciated.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I have some data for Turkey, and I know it is in Gauss-Kruger TM, with ED50 datum. I need to define the projection for the data in ArcGIS.

The problem is that I don't know what zones each data layer is in. Is there a map available somewhere, where I can check which GK zones are where in Turkey? There are options of ED50 GK 9-15 in ArcGIS, but I don't know which to assign. Any help would be appreciated.

The zones are 3 degrees wide, zone 9 starts at 28.5 degrees east, zone 15 ends at 43.5 degrees east.

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Brandon Tourtelotte

Brandon Tourtelotte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Cartography<br />International GIS Datasets<br />Jazz (and all other kinds of music)<br />Introspection<br />Networking<br />Engaging personalities<br />Challenging thinkers
  • United States

Hans,
are you sure about the GK zones starting on .5 deg intervals? That's never been my experience. Is that related to the ED50 datum? I think he just needs GK zone 35-38, from 24deg to 48deg E, at 6 degree intervals
Brandon Tourtelotte
East View Cartographic, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hans,
are you sure about the GK zones starting on .5 deg intervals? That's never been my experience. Is that related to the ED50 datum? I think he just needs GK zone 35-38, from 24deg to 48deg E, at 6 degree intervals

Well...

It's what the Turkey coordsys definitions in FME say. Datum, if I recall correctly, is indeed ED50.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic &amp; Kite Photography
  • United States

Reviving this old discussion as I'm running into the same issue with varying definitions of GK zones.

I'm trying to determine the GK zone for Western China (Yunnan province) in order to georeference some Russian topo maps. According to some definitions of GK zones they are 3 degrees wide. So my AOI should be in zone 33 by my calculations. Unfortunately Manifold only has zones going to 32. using manifold the zone I would need based on the central meridiens they use to define the zones is zone 17. This is a bit of a discrepancy. I'm looking for some sort of utility to easily determine corresponding UTM to GK zones as well as a basic GK zone map. Has anyone found anything like this.

Secondly is Manifold's definition of GK zones correct? Their zones seem to be 6 degrees wide.

Thanks,

mg

Brandon Tourtelotte

Brandon Tourtelotte

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Cartography<br />International GIS Datasets<br />Jazz (and all other kinds of music)<br />Introspection<br />Networking<br />Engaging personalities<br />Challenging thinkers
  • United States

Hello Martin,
I believe you are a past customer of ours, hope all is well. EVC has exactly what you are looking for, which shouldnt surprise you I guess. Please contact me directly if you'd like more details.
Thanks Martin

Brandon
Brandon Tourtelotte
East View Cartographic, Inc.
Minneapolis, MN

Mikael Rittri

Mikael Rittri

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Sweden

The sad thing is, that there are two different numbering systems for Gauss-Krüger zones.

In one system, the zones are 3 degrees wide, and zone 1 has central longitude at 3 deg E, zone 2 has central longitude at 6 deg E, ... zone n has central longitude at 3*n deg E.

In the other system, the zones are 6 degrees wide, and zone 1 has central longitude at 3 deg E, zone 2 has central longitude at 9 deg E, ... zone n has central longitude at 6*n - 3 deg E.

So there is no "Universal Gauss-Krüger" system. There is the 3-degree Gauss-Krüger system, and the competing 6-degree Gauss-Krüger system. (Not to mention other, national numbering systems for Gauss-Krüger zones, like Argentina's and Finland's.)

Germany and Turkey use the 3-degree system.

Hans wrote about Turkey:
> The zones are 3 degrees wide, zone 9 starts at 28.5 degrees east, zone 15 ends at 43.5 degrees east.

Almost true, but off by 3 degrees. The 3-degree zone 9 has central meridan at 9*3 = 27 deg E, so it starts at 25.5 deg E and ends at 28.5 deg E. And the 3-degree zone 15 has central meridian at 15*3 = 45 deg east, so it starts at 43.5 deg E and ends at 46.5 deg E.

South Yemen and Vietnam uses the 6-degree Gauss-Krüger system.

As far as I understand it, Russia and China uses (or have used) both the 3-degree and the 6-degree GK system. Sometimes, the zones are named after the central meridian, which is of course much better. But when they are named by the GK zone number and nothing else, it is up to you to find out whether it is the 3-degree or the 6-degree system that is intended.

By the way, the values for False Easting and False Northing in the Gauss-Krüger zones do not seem to be as standardized as in the UTM system.

My sources are:
* German wikipedia: http://de.wikipedia....ordinatensystem
(Google is pretty good at translating this to English), and
* The EPSG Geodetic Parameter Data Set, which can be downloaded from http://www.epsg.org .

Best regards,
Mikael Rittri
Carmenta AB
Sweden
http://www.carmenta.com

huseyin

huseyin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Turkey

Dear Mr Mikael Rittri

I m Hüseyin ESKİOCAK. I m study at Karadeniz Technical University, Department of Geomatic Engineering , 4 th class. While doing research on the internet that I have read your article about the map projection. Search for your name and e-mail address I've reached. How to use Gauss-Kruger Projection the different countries. can you fill out the following matters relating to this draft about some countries which use gauss kruger proj., [/color]Thank you for your interest.

Regards.

(like Argentina's and Finland's ,africa's countries etc.)

projection type :Gauss-kruger
reference elipsoid :
zones :
longitude of orgin :
latitude of orgin :
unit :
false northing :
false easting :
scale factor at the central meridian :
latitude limits of system :
zone numbering :
limits of overlap :

Department of Geomatics Engineering
Karadeniz Technical University - Engineering Faculty - 61080 Trabzon/Turkey
Phone (0462) 377 2707 Fax /0462) 328 0918

Nick H

Nick H

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts
  • United Kingdom

If you go here:

http://spatialreference.org/

and enter the search term 'Gauss-Kruger' it will bring up a list of projections that include ED50 / 3-degree Gauss-Kruger zones 9 to 15. Clicking on the individual links will provided information on the limits for each zone.

Regards, N.
Caversham, Reading, England.

huseyin

huseyin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Turkey

dear Mr Nick H.

Thank you very much for your interest. I can get exactly information which I want.

Best Regards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->