• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

R. Smith

R. Smith

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Canada

Okay it's a strange question but I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out.

A long time ago or what seems like a long time ago I attended ITC in 1986. When I was a student there the instructors used a product that I'm trying to find, to write on blackboards with. The product was used like chalk, but was dust free, yellow in colour, sort of a waxy consistency and washed off the blackboard with water and a rag. I have followed up with one of my intructors, who remembers the product, but says it hasn't been used there since they moved into their new building, and that was 12 years ago. I have tried a variety of google searches but have come up empty.

Dose this product sound familiar to anyone? Or any idea what the product was called or where one might get it?

Thanks

Rod Smith
Maps Unlimited

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Okay it's a strange question but I'm hoping someone might be able to help me out.

A long time ago or what seems like a long time ago I attended ITC in 1986. When I was a student there the instructors used a product that I'm trying to find, to write on blackboards with.

:lol: I got this far and was seriously thinking you were going to say you couldn't find anyone anymore who stocks chalk due to the influx of whiteboards and was starting to really worry about my age.

Sorry can't help you with that—wouldn't of been the same as the pencils used to draw on aerial photos would it? I can't remember what they were called now but they were also a wax like lead but think they would of been to sticky to just wipe off.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to,
but some chalk manufacturers use calcium carbonate (Regular blackboard chalk is calcium sulfate. its much more dry and messy.) in their blackboard chalk. they call it 'dustless' chalk. It's not really "waxy" though.

Sometimes they add binders, a kind of sticky glue substance to further reduce dust, so this could be the "waxy" consistency you are referring to?
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

Jason

Jason

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Geography, and more Cartography. Oh, I also garden and golf in the summer.
  • United States

My wife just picked up a set of "Chalk Ink" wet wipe markers for a small chalkboard on the fridge from our local Paper Zone store. Chalk Ink website. Any crafty place should have them I have been told. You see these used in restaurants and coffee shops to make there menus pretty. Goes on like a pen. Washes off with water.
Jason Clark
Clark Cartography

Without Geography, you'd be nowhere.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->