• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

CourtB

CourtB

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hi Everyone,

I cannot think of a better resource to go to with a question like this than here! First, I think it appropriate to explain what my two partners and myself are trying to accomplish: Our goal is not to create a finished product, but rather to generate a map using our preselected waypoints from our TomTom 'Rider' 2nd Generation. We are all motorcycle riders and are currently working on covering many states with the intention of recording these various waypoints that we feel are the greatest campsite locales in each individual state. We have just completed a long and arduous journey of comprehensively researching the state of Utah. These waypoints (on our device they are referred to as 'Favorites'), along with endless hours of audio recorded research, notes, video footage, etc. are what we intend to pour into our map for motorcycle riders. Being that we certainly cannot accomplish this using our TomTom software, we need a program to not only attach our waypoints to, but one that also has the flexibility to triangulate mileage markers for both state and local routes, and can give us a multitude of options as to express our creativety through the route segments; i.e., colored route shading, markings, etc. This, in turn, will be handed over to a professional cartography company, and graphic designer who will take it from there.
>
> That being said, I have already looked into AGIS, ESRI 'Arc View', Globalmapper, Map Maker, Delorme Street Atlas 09, Maptech & a few others. I am having difficulty finding a software program that has been published for just these reasons. I do not want to spend months learning how to use a program, I simply want record our data onto map that is readily understandable by a professional.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Kind Regards,

Court

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Court - why don't you hand over the data to a contractor/professional to do the preliminary GIS work?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Court - why don't you hand over the data to a contractor/professional to do the preliminary GIS work?

That may depend on the budget he may have.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

Have you considered using Google Earth? You can import all of your routes, waypoints, and even link to media files. Plus, it's free. If you need a full-blown GIS for a low cost, I would recommend Manifold.net.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Have you considered using Google Earth? You can import all of your routes, waypoints, and even link to media files. Plus, it's free. If you need a full-blown GIS for a low cost, I would recommend Manifold.net.

Manifold recommends Garmin, he's got a TomTom device. If TomTom is truly in NMEA format then it should work however it's warned that sometimes GPS devices make the claim that it is compatible to NMEA but it may not be the case.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

CourtB

CourtB

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Thank you all for your input. I have spoken to TomTom regarding NMEA format - they have somewhat confirmed; however, they have also said that there is no way to tell because they don't have access to this information (huh?). Is there a way I can absolutely confirm weather or not this format is used by TomTom and if it is not, should we be collecting this data with a device that uses NMEA, like Garmin?

Also, I am interested in www.manifold.net; however, I am hesitant to purchase anything that is very complicated. Being a genuine neophyte, can someone tell me if I should be looking for a simpler program?

Thanks guys,

CourtB

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Canada

If you want a free GIS that you can understand & learn quickly, (well at least enough to learn GPS in a GIS), get QGIS a free software package that you can try within five minutes. Just download the points & save the results as a GPX file. And from there a GIS/Cartographer can take it from there after of course you ask for bids & make your selection.

http://www.qgis.org/

However like Manifold GIS the open source Quantum GIS was programed in NMEA format. Never the less it doesn't hurt to try to download the information from a TomTom device. At least we will know if TomTom is compatible to NMEA.

GISRox

GISRox

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Outdoors, maps, travel.
  • United States

NMEA is generally used for streaming live(moving map) GPS data from the unit to the software. Downloading tracks, waypoints, etc. is usually done via a proprietary format from the GPS vendor. I know nothing about TomTom, but before the user selects a GIS package, he needs to determine how to get the data out of a TomTom into a spatial format.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,860 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I agree with Hugo, it's probabely a good idea to talk to a GIS person and see what they can do for you in terms of the whole process. Most, if not all of them, will be able to work with GPS logs and if your notes are properly timestamped they can be georeferenced to those GPS logs. Then you can start doing all kinds of cool stuff with them.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

For importing the file format try GPSBabel. The current version appears to support TomTom formats .itn, .asc, & .ov2 files for conversion to other formats.
Rick Dey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->