• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Spaniard

Spaniard

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • No Country Selected

Do you think 9.3 SLX is worth the upgrade cost from 9.2? I wonder if the adoption rate is strong in the field, or if it's like Office 2007 and everyone's stuck with 9.2.

Though familiar with property mapping, I'm relatively new to GIS. I'll be doing some work for a petroleum exploration company shortly. I'll be starting with the myriad free courses on the ESRI site and work up to whatever instruction I need. I currently have ArcGIS 9.2.

Thanks for your input. Glad to have found a community for people like myself.

paul

paul

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Running, telemark skiing, GIS
  • United States

Most of the improvements of ArcGIS 9.3 are for the server product. The desktop product (ArcMap, ArcCatalog) did not change much. There are a few nice new features, such as transparencies in legends, but for the most part it's the same as 9.2.

If you are current with ESRI maintenance, you will get 9.3 at no extra cost, and it's definitely worth installing. I haven't had any issues with it. But if you need to buy a new license, or get your license current, it's probably worth waiting until 9.4 or 10. If anyone you work with is using 9.3, they can always save the .mxd as 9.2. As far as adoption rates, it's a mixed bag. Most large organizations are probably still using 9.2 (or even 9.1), because it's such a IT hassle to upgrade. But many smaller companies such as mine are on 9.3.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Spaniard - what does SLX mean/signify? Can't find any info/mention relating to that on the ESRI site...
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->