3 replies to this topic

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

I was wondering if anyone might use an open source vector program (Inkscape, etc.) with GIS for mapping tasks, like you would Illustrator. I'm wondering about the ability to import/export files without losing spatial reference etc.

Any experience with this? <_<

Thanks!

archimedian

archimedian

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

I've never used Inkscape, but keep meaning to get around to playing with it, especially since reading last year that it was about ready for serious use, i.e. use as a professional replacement for Illustrator. I too am interested in other's experiences using Inkscape in cartographic design and production.

johnnyh

johnnyh

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • United States

I have in the past... Wasn't exactly easy. But you can export the EPS from a GIS and bring it into Inkscape. But getting it back into GIS format usually requires re-rectifying it.

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

I have in the past... Wasn't exactly easy. But you can export the EPS from a GIS and bring it into Inkscape. But getting it back into GIS format usually requires re-rectifying it.

This is true for most of the Vector art software, except may be MapPublisher and Illustrator. I have not used MapPublisher.

But I really do not know if one can import back a map into GIS after graphic manipulations, say converting point connected lines and shapes to Bezier curves as in Illustrator.

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->