• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Been trying this for a bit now, without much success.

I'm looking for a way to take a Shapefile with worldwide coverage and render it as a globe, viewed from a great distance with the view centered on a certain location. Easy enough, but the catch is that I'd like vector output.

Tried this with Manifold and Global Mapper, but couldn't get anything good out of it. Manifold does seem to have an option, but it became a mess of lines (and it didn't think of hiding the invisible stuff on the other side of the globe).

Of course I can always make a high resolution image in Photoshop, slap it onto a sphere in Bryce and be done with it, but I'd really like vectors... Any thoughts?
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

You can easily do this in ArcMap - I have done it quite a bit. Hans - you always offer to help people out ("send me the data, and I'll take a look at it") - maybe I can return the favor?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

cough, cough, ArcGlobe, cough, cough...

It theoretically should work... but I haven't tried to see if ArcGlobe even still still works. I had a pretty frustrating time the last time I opened it several years ago.

You could always export to KML on load it on GoogleEarth...

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

peanut

peanut

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  • United States

As Frax says this can be done in ArcMap. You can probably also use Illustrator to come up with something. See this link:

http://www.creativep...ith-illustrator

Rich

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

Been trying this for a bit now, without much success.

I'm looking for a way to take a Shapefile with worldwide coverage and render it as a globe, viewed from a great distance with the view centered on a certain location. Easy enough, but the catch is that I'd like vector output.

Tried this with Manifold and Global Mapper, but couldn't get anything good out of it. Manifold does seem to have an option, but it became a mess of lines (and it didn't think of hiding the invisible stuff on the other side of the globe).

Of course I can always make a high resolution image in Photoshop, slap it onto a sphere in Bryce and be done with it, but I'd really like vectors... Any thoughts?

Hans, use the orthographic projection in Global mapper. I think this is what you are looking for.

rob

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

As Frax says this can be done in ArcMap. You can probably also use Illustrator to come up with something. See this link:

http://www.creativep...ith-illustrator

Rich

WHOA! That gets the prize for the Illy-Tip-O'-The-Month. I am still waiting for Adobe to create a user friendly 3D app (anyone remember Adobe Dimensions?)

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi guys—I had tried this in Arc Scene recently and while it you are having vectors in couldn't get vectors in the output. Just tested Arc Globe and got the same result.

If I'm wanting to keep vectors I usually do my final export from Sketchup as it will export to a vector pdf well from the 3d model but how well it would place the artwork on a globe.

As Rich has said Illy will work well for this but if your map gets too complicated detailed I imagine Illy will start to struggle pretty quickly.

Maybe what Robs idea of using an orthographic projection and then adding shading in Illy would be best? This would keep everything a bit more intact I think.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

When reprojecting the data to ortographic projection there is an option in manifold called 'clip coordinates'. I used it a lot with v6.5 but then had some problems with it in v8 - it would remove all the data when reprojecting with clipping on.

In general, if you perform clip intersect and remove the wrapped data before changing the projection (or displaying it in ortographic projection) there shouldn't be any serious problems. Although you'd have to duplicate the data set...

That's my workaround:
1. Create a geographic circle centered at the projection centre - I usually use radius of 10 000 km and don't bother with the exact value
2. Clip intersect the data
3. Display it on a map with ortographic projection / reproject it to ortographic projection without clipping the data

Obviously it's labour intensive when working with lots of data ;) And geographic circle not centered at 0,0 looks weird ;)

Attached Files

• Attached File  Test.png   317.16KB   45 downloads

maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Sweden

ArcGlobe and ArcScene doesn't export vectors as output. What I did at one point was to export a simple raster which I LiveTrace'd, with so-so result (more work than I expected)
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,881 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Thanks for the comments everybody! The Illustrator method that Rick posted looks very promising, I'm going to try that one first (also because I eventually need this vector globe in Illustrator).

-- edit --

Wa-hey! Quick screenshot:

Attached File  globe.jpg   27.34KB   63 downloads

The tutorial refers to another one that can't be found, but I managed to figure it out anyway. The only thing it doesn't mention is that if you want to have a globe that is correct, you should add data at the North Pole :rolleyes:
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

ArcGlobe and ArcScene doesn't export vectors as output. What I did at one point was to export a simple raster which I LiveTrace'd, with so-so result (more work than I expected)

You don't need ArcGlobe or ArcScene to do this. You can use ArcMap, apply The World From Space Coordinate system, modify the paramters to center wherever you want, and export to AI. This will create vectors clipped to the projection horizon (just make sure nothing in the map will cause rasterization - if you need any of those effects or raster layers just do them separately or apply them in Illustrator). You could then play with gradients in Illustrator if you like.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Hans,

I like the Illy tip - will come in very handy. I've also managed to create vector globes using the "from space projection" in ARC - it works well.

Your sample JPG looks good.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

Yep I remember Adobe Dimension. I bought it along with AI version 9 I believe. Adobe then brought in the 'bump' mapping function with the CS1 version I believe.

Thank you Rich for the creative pro. tutorial on AI.

For those who use MapInfo (not many do in this forum) there is a neat little utility called 'view from space'. It does a nice job. e.g. you specify the point of view from space and you get a vector rendering in native MapInfo format that can be easily moved to AI for further enhancements.
Chart

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Sweden

DaveB - see above that I suggested ArcMap earlier - but it is not as flexible as ArcGlobe/ArcScene - you can not modify all the parameters of the viewing point. On my wish list would be vector export from ArcGlobe/ArcScene, or more parameters to the world-form-space projection in ArcMap.
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,054 posts
  • United States

DaveB - see above that I suggested ArcMap earlier - but it is not as flexible as ArcGlobe/ArcScene - you can not modify all the parameters of the viewing point. On my wish list would be vector export from ArcGlobe/ArcScene, or more parameters to the world-form-space projection in ArcMap.

Yes, I saw your origianl suggestion of ArcMap, but most of the later comments (by others, too) referred to ArcGlobe and ArcScene. I was responding to those. :)

I'm no expert on projections so I'm quite possibly missing something. What additional parameters would you want for World from Space? I can pass along any info/"wish list" to the projection folks (as well as passing along the wish for vector export from Globe/Scene to the Globe/Scene team/s).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->