• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Keith

Keith

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

I am looking for a data set that has just the major roads between major cities. I need this for country level mapping so it does not need have a high level of spatial accuracy. Anyone have any good starting points?

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I would use StreetmapUSA if you are an ESRI user. The data comes with the install CDs.

You might also try downloading from the USGS Seamless Server.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

Keith

Keith

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • United States

I am really looking for a world wide data set. If you look at country level maps from the 70's and 80;s most have a road network that is very basic. I thought that there may be a similar data set floating around somewhere

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I am really looking for a world wide data set. If you look at country level maps from the 70's and 80;s most have a road network that is very basic. I thought that there may be a similar data set floating around somewhere

VMAP might be an option. Not terribly correct or accurate, but for a global map it'll do. I can do you a global set of that (merged the data from the 4 cd's into a single spatial database), feel free to contact me privately if you're interested.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

the digital chart of the world also has roads in it, although it's 16 years old, but your main linkages will be there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->