• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

ThinkGeo

ThinkGeo

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • United States

.NET developers working with ThinkGeo's Map Suite 3.0 GIS software now have a new way to add great-looking maps of the world to their applications. We've just released the World Map Kit, an all-in-one map data and rendering solution for Map Suite devs. You get the data, rendering classes and iconography for the whole world in one package.

The World Map Kit includes a complete dataset of the world, featuring street-level detail throughout the United States and Canada, plus major road detail elsewhere. In addition, the pre-built rendering classes take all the hard work out of designing beautiful maps. Visual details, iconography and zoom levels have all been meticulously designed for you. All you have to do is add a few lines of code to your Map Suite application, and you're ready to go.

You can experiment with a Web application that uses the World Map Kit online here:

http://maps.thinkgeo.com

If you have any questions about the World Map Kit, check out our FAQ. You can also see our website for more details about Map Suite GIS development software.

Are there any Map Suite developers in the CartoTalk community? Let us know!

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

I looked at my home town of Nelson BC (see screenshot), and I'm a little confused. Streets in the water? Imaginary rail lines? I'm not sure why any cartographer would be interested in such a thing. Am I missing something here? :unsure:

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Attached Files

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Do you want some quotes? Because you have quite a bit of issues going on with that map. For example in my area what happened to Trunk 1? Many of the collector roads are missing, with a few notable exceptions courtesy of private companies the railway was torn out in 1992, the roads show that I basically have to turn a quick sharp 90° at the corners, grammar, need I go on?

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Based on the previous comments, I just had to zoom in to where I live. No detailed data for Stockholm, but the Swedish characters åäö seems to be missing. An old airport (closed in the early nineties) is marked, and a few big islands outside Stockholm are missing (major roads in the water). From a quick look. No street data for Sweden!

But the viewer seems to work fine.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Dutch major road and rail networks seem to be fine (albeit heavily generalised), but no distinction between highways and major roads.

I don't know what dataset you used for the built-up areas and their names, but it's woefully incorrect. Misspelled names, the wrong names, industrial areas the same style as cities, missing parts (how old is the data?)

Zooming in on some areas in the US that I'm familiar with I see the same thing basically.

I'm sorry, the software side of that demo works okay, but the data is not something I'd want to show to my clients.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

mika

mika

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Poland

Yep, the app seems to work fine, the data set is seriously outdated. You've got the old administrative boundaries for Poland - they changed in 1999.

Also there is some mess with the hydro in North Africa - you show some salines as lakes while there is only/mostly salt lef
maps made easy - www.cartomatic.pl

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

In the Northern California area I'm seeing what appears to be a second layer of primary roads that is out of register with the base layer at some of the mid range zoom levels. The viewer is fast if not sparse in it's tools.
Rick Dey

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,326 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I won't add to the map/data-quality bashing - but find your website rather intriguing.

It has all the right ingredients and I can tell you have focussed a lot of corporate energy into it.

Good luck.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->