• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Steve Spindler asked me to post this here, for the people who go to the PCD. Please make sure to forward your answers to him via email: steve@bikemap.com

This email is really for people who are participating in the NACIS Practical Cartography Day in Salt Lake City on October 13, but it may be of interest to members of Map-Mac. For more information about the NACIS annual meeting, please visit http://www.nacis.org.

We are fortunate to have two representatives from Adobe Systems at Practical Cartography Day in Salt Lake City. Adobe recognizes that many cartographers use Illustrator and other Creative Suite products. Colin Fleming, who will be leading the presentation/discussion, has had a special interest in cartography from a young age.

I'm looking for input about what you want to know about. Ask a how-to question, describe something that you need a shortcut for, suggest a new feature, or explain a difficulty. All of your comments will be forwarded to the presenters.

Below are some questions from Adobe. As you think of production problems you have, if you want to send a sample file to me (steve@bikemap.com) , you are welcome to.

Thank you,

Steve Spindler
Practical Cartography Day

1. What computer platform do you use primarily?
Mac (OS?), Win or both?

2. What Adobe products (and versions) do you use most?
Where do you typically purchase your Adobe software?

3. What's your biggest barrier to upgrading or trying new Adobe products?

Now, about what you want to know. In addition to showing you the new Illustrator CS2, we'd like to present some tips and tricks, and spend more time answering how-to questions than talking about Adobe, the company (boring!). Whatever you'd like!  Here are some suggested topics.

1. What are you curious about regarding Illustrator CS2 or Creative Suite 2?  Is there a feature or functionality that you want to know about?  In the dark about what Creative Suite 2 is in the first place?

2. We will have an Adobe Illustrator product manager at the presentation, so here's your chance to get really deep into Illustrator! Ask a how-to question, describe something that you need a shortcut for, or explain a difficulty.

3. What can Adobe do as a company to help you be more creative and more productive?

4. What else?

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

Does he only want responses from people attending the PCD?

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I guess so, as they will be forwarded to the Adobe people, who will cover them during PCD.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Nick,

I think he is accepting questions from anyone, it is mostly for suggestions on talking points and issues that the reps can adress. It may be that folks that won't attend still have some issues with Illustraotr that they would like answered. I'll work with Steve to see if we can post a summary of that session if anyone wants it.

mg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->