7 replies to this topic

Brendan

Brendan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hello,

Last year I created a few 20-30 MB maps, using Illustrator CS2. Now, when I open these files (and try to re-save them), I receive an "Unknown Error Occurred" message. I have tried saving under different names, I have tried placing the files into a new document. Nothing works. I have spent a lot of time designing these graphic maps and now I cannot modify them.

As a side note, I can pan around the map, make edits to the graphics, etc. Once in awhile, the document cannot finish previewing. I contacted Adobe and they told me my computer could not handle the processing speed necessary to run the the file. Since then, I have upgraded my computer to easily handle the support necessary for this file.

Perhaps my file is corrupt, however I need to know what (if anything) I can do to salvage any part of these maps. This would be a lot of work down the drain for me, as they are very detailed town maps of our community.

Thanks for any help!

bdecker@wayland.ma.us

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

What platform/operating system are you working on?

I've had cases in the past where there have been items off the drawing area (not just the page - beyond the maximum possible extents) that have caused errors in files - but only on PCs, not on Macs.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • New Zealand

Hello,

Last year I created a few 20-30 MB maps, using Illustrator CS2. Now, when I open these files (and try to re-save them), I receive an "Unknown Error Occurred" message. I have tried saving under different names, I have tried placing the files into a new document. Nothing works. I have spent a lot of time designing these graphic maps and now I cannot modify them.

As a side note, I can pan around the map, make edits to the graphics, etc. Once in awhile, the document cannot finish previewing. I contacted Adobe and they told me my computer could not handle the processing speed necessary to run the the file. Since then, I have upgraded my computer to easily handle the support necessary for this file.

Perhaps my file is corrupt, however I need to know what (if anything) I can do to salvage any part of these maps. This would be a lot of work down the drain for me, as they are very detailed town maps of our community.

Thanks for any help!

bdecker@wayland.ma.us

Are you placing the files in a new document or copy-pasting the objects to th enew doc?

I would set up a new file to the same dimensions and copy - paste on top (with paste remembers layers selected) one layer at a time. While saving each time you do a layer.

Is there a layer that the save as suddenly stops working?

Also check as noted there aren't elements off the artboard which can often cause4 problems with data from a GIS or cad package.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

Brendan

Brendan

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hello,

Thank you both for responding to my major problem here. I have been using Illustrator for over 10 years, and have encountered bugs before. But this is really causing me problems, and I might have lost 6 months of intensive labor.

First, I am using Windows Vista as my operating system now (just was upgraded to it, unfortunately). Again, the software I am using is CS 2, which I hear does not run smoothly with Vista. However, my problems did occur before this upgrade. All of the other required specs for running illustrator are being met...

One of many problems I am encountering is Illustrator seems to duplicate my map image. In other words, AI takes my entire map and all of a sudden creates a "tiled effect" containing multiple maps. Usually this is followed by an "unknown error message". AI seems to multiply my file sizes when this happens (the original file sizes range between 20-30 mb).

I have tried to eliminate all layers (there are about 20 layers on my map), and save each layer separately. Then I try to paste in front, to try and bring each layer back together, even condensing layers and re-naming them. Unfortunately, even after executing this laborious process, there is no consistency with AI at all. I am not confident that doing 5 minutes of work will result in a saved file. I obviously cannot continue to create maps using AI, until this is resolved. Unfortunately, even placing a phone call to tech support costs $40.00 just to say "hello". This is happening with all of my base map files, not just one of them.

The bottom line is I work for a really cheap town in New England that is unwilling to spend any money to assist with fixing this problem. I am at last ditch efforts to save my intensive mapping work, so I can make my cartography life easier here, and provide maps for people...

If you would like to see my maps to understand my concerns, please check out:

http://www.wayland.m...bsite/Maps.html

Please click on the "Parcels and Landuse Map" to see my work. A few of the other maps are not what I have created...the file is a little bigger (3.5mb), but it is a busy map. BTW- I also designed the website and table, which I spent all summer on with little programming experience, just so I could showcase these maps...

Very frustrating if I cannot see the fruits of my labor come forward. Thanks in advance for any further direction you can offer me.

pfyfield

pfyfield

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  • United States

We've had similar problems. I would go through the file, layer by layer, looking for odd and funky things. Compound paths in text layers, for example...

Sometimes I've saved as a pdf or eps, then immediately saved back as ai to rewrite the file and eliminate the corruption.

You can also try "saving as" an ai while unchecking the "Create PDF Compatible File" box. An ai file basically contains two files, the native Illustrator file and a pdf copy so it can be read by other applications (InDesign, Photoshop). Try saving it without the pdf file (which will write a much smaller file), then "save as" again with it checked.

Good luck...
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • New Zealand

Brendan—from what you have said here I read that you are deleting layers out to strip the file back. This could keep corruption in the original file. I would copy the contents of each layer out into a totally new fresh file. Also as pfyfield said I'd leave the "Create PDF Compatible File" box unchecked. Have you had a chance to test this on another machine? Or rolled back to cs2?

A final last ditch option is if you can print from the file you could print to postscript or pdf (which goes through a postscript driver first anyway) and I'm pretty sure if you could that would strip out any problems in the file—unfortunately along with all the Illustrator editing capabilities like transparency, text on a path, soem stroked text etc. They would be there but have been flattened but if all else fails it could give you something to work with.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

aug_aug

aug_aug

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

What I would do is load up these files onto a cd/thumb drive and head to your local community college art department, find somebody with Illustrator CS3 and have them open the files, then save them for you.

Additionally, I agree with the previous posting, you never really indicated whether or not you opened a "fresh" AI file and copy/pasted each layer, that's a really important part of the process.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts
  • Canada

What I would do is load up these files onto a cd/thumb drive and head to your local community college art department, find somebody with Illustrator CS3 and have them open the files, then save them for you.

Or have someone on Cartotalk take a crack at them. I've got CS3 on a PC - I'd be willing to see what I could do with one of them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->