8 replies to this topic

Helo

Helo

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • United States

Hi

I'm a first time MaPublilsher user working with CS3 on a new Mac Pro running 10.5.4. I received and installed mapublisher and geographic imager. They can do some neat things, but I'm highly disappointed by one basic thing that mapublisher can't seem to do: there seems to be no way to easily position data on the map! I know I can edit map views and manually change the scale and drag the green data extent box around. But what if I have imported shapefiles for an entire city but want to map a few specific locations (say, a few city blocks) within the city? There are no points of reference in the green data box so show where I am in the city, so scale and location are a matter of trial and error each and every time. There's no way to just drag a box around the area I want and make the data fill the map? I tried drawing extent rectangles as references, but there's no way to zoom the data to fit them. Yes, I can zoom directly to the extent rectangles, but how do I get the data to fill the map?

Also, everything I've read on the book and online says I should be able to create a new column for a feature and type in attributes. I tried that and it won't take anything I type. I made sure the "type" was set correctly and still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I'm a first time MaPublilsher user working with CS3 on a new Mac Pro running 10.5.4. I received and installed mapublisher and geographic imager. They can do some neat things, but I'm highly disappointed by one basic thing that mapublisher can't seem to do: there seems to be no way to easily position data on the map! I know I can edit map views and manually change the scale and drag the green data extent box around. But what if I have imported shapefiles for an entire city but want to map a few specific locations (say, a few city blocks) within the city? There are no points of reference in the green data box so show where I am in the city, so scale and location are a matter of trial and error each and every time. There's no way to just drag a box around the area I want and make the data fill the map? I tried drawing extent rectangles as references, but there's no way to zoom the data to fit them. Yes, I can zoom directly to the extent rectangles, but how do I get the data to fill the map?

The easiest way is to clip the area you're interested in out of the total dataset. You can do this in your GIS software, or in Illustrator/MAPublisher (just remove everything you don't want, export the layer and re-import it into a new Map View)

Also, everything I've read on the book and online says I should be able to create a new column for a feature and type in attributes. I tried that and it won't take anything I type. I made sure the "type" was set correctly and still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.

- Did you select one or more objects? (i.e. are there existing attributes visible in the Map Attributes window?)
- You need to activate the 'cell' in the Map Attributes window by doubleclicking in it. Kinda tricky to get used to, at least for me.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Garvan

Garvan

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Canada

I'm a first time MaPublisher user working with CS3 on a new Mac Pro running 10.5.4. I received and installed mapublisher and geographic imager. They can do some neat things, but I'm highly disappointed by one basic thing that mapublisher can't seem to do: there seems to be no way to easily position data on the map!

MAPublisher 8 is due out soon, the new MapView editor displays far more detail in the preview window, which should make this task easier. Each MapView is shown as an individual semi-transparent coloured box, and thumbnail of the artwork is shown.

I know I can edit map views and manually change the scale and drag the green data extent box around. But what if I have imported shapefiles for an entire city but want to map a few specific locations (say, a few city blocks) within the city?

MAPublisher 8 has a crop tool, specifically for cropping GIS data post-import. Cropping during the import is a popular request and is planned for a future release.

(If you ask Avenza support, you may be able to get on the Beta for 8.0)
Garvan Keeley
Software Development Manager
Avenza Systems Inc.

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

I'm looking forward to those changes in MAPublisher 8.

I've always thought a good addition to MP would be a select arrow where one could manipulate data in the Illustrator (non Map View) space without screwing up the georeferencing.

I do what it sounds like Hans is doing. First I establish the relationship between a neatline and the map extent, then export my neatline back to Arc and clip all my data. This makes positioning in the map view much easier, with my neatline included in the map view layers.

One other trick: It appears that MP actually reads the thickness of the line when positioning in the map view. Make the neatline zero points thick first and the positioning makes much more sense, then set it back to whatever you want when you're done.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

Rick Dey

Rick Dey

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts
  • Interests:Illustrator, MAPublisher, GIS, Street Maps
  • United States

Garvan,

Those sound like some great additions to MAPublisher. Its too bad Avenza couldn't have a presence next week at NACIS to show some of those off. Between the improvements in CS4 and MAPublisher it sounds like our lives are going to get better.
Rick Dey

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

I've always thought a good addition to MP would be a select arrow where one could manipulate data in the Illustrator (non Map View) space without screwing up the georeferencing.

I'm curious about what you mean. The geo-referencing isn't stored in individual objects, so you should be able to manipulate the vertices without screwing that up, unless I'm misunderstanding you. Or are you trying to do something more than just shift around some vertices?

One other trick: It appears that MP actually reads the thickness of the line when positioning in the map view. Make the neatline zero points thick first and the positioning makes much more sense, then set it back to whatever you want when you're done.

This is true. When calculating the extents for use in the MAP View editor, we specifically ask Illustrator for 'visual bounds' as opposed to 'geometric bounds' -- the idea being that if you're trying to fit it into the page you probably don't want thick lines stick past boundaries. Do you find yourself wishing we were using geometric bounds often? We might be able to work it in somehow so its an option. We're talking about auto-scale & the anchor buttons (left, top-left, etc.) here right? I don't think that comes into play with anything else.
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

This is true. When calculating the extents for use in the MAP View editor, we specifically ask Illustrator for 'visual bounds' as opposed to 'geometric bounds' -- the idea being that if you're trying to fit it into the page you probably don't want thick lines stick past boundaries. Do you find yourself wishing we were using geometric bounds often? We might be able to work it in somehow so its an option. We're talking about auto-scale & the anchor buttons (left, top-left, etc.) here right? I don't think that comes into play with anything else.

Speaking for myself here, I almost always use Auto-scale in the Map View Editor and then scale down to a round number. I hardly ever produce a map for output purposes that goes right up against the page edges.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Andrew,

Moving vertices in Illustrator of data in a map layer is essentially editing the location of that data on the ground. You're changing it's position in geographic space.

What I mean is an arrow that would allow affine transformations- scaling, rotating, moving- of the map view without opening up the map view edit window. Let's say you want to shift everything to the left- you just select it and move it, rather than opening up the edit window and changing the value in the X data extent. Same with scaling- you select and scale, and the scale in the map view would change along with it.

This would come in particulary handy when trying to georeference an old file that was built without MP. I bring in data and try to align it to the data in the map. With the kind of tool I am talking about this would be simple. Right now I have to pick two vertices that I want to coincide, figure out the distance I want to shift the map view by looking at the differences in their position on the page, and adjust the X and Y values in the edit window.

Am I being clear at all?
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

Speaking for myself here, I almost always use Auto-scale in the Map View Editor and then scale down to a round number. I hardly ever produce a map for output purposes that goes right up against the page edges.

I always figured at people were doing something like that, at least some of the time. So I guess in this case it wouldn't matter much if it's geometric or visual would it?

One idea thing I toyed with was the idea of introducing margins somehow. It wouldn't be too hard to auto-scale to a margin-modified page rather than the page -- it's very simple math. Though maybe CS4's bleed would be better to use? I'm a little unclear on what the 'bleed' is exactly. I've picked up a little bit of sense of it from reading these forums, but I've never been clear on exactly how it's used & to what purpose it's intended. So maybe that's a bad idea. Either way though, would an option to auto-scale/anchor to a definable, relative region of the page be useful?

Moving vertices in Illustrator of data in a map layer is essentially editing the location of that data on the ground. You're changing it's position in geographic space.

Yes, I recognize that -- I thought that's what you were saying though, like tweaking the points on a coastline or something. From what you've said below, I gather not :)

What I mean is an arrow that would allow affine transformations- scaling, rotating, moving- of the map view without opening up the map view edit window. Let's say you want to shift everything to the left- you just select it and move it, rather than opening up the edit window and changing the value in the X data extent. Same with scaling- you select and scale, and the scale in the map view would change along with it.

This would come in particulary handy when trying to georeference an old file that was built without MP. I bring in data and try to align it to the data in the map. With the kind of tool I am talking about this would be simple. Right now I have to pick two vertices that I want to coincide, figure out the distance I want to shift the map view by looking at the differences in their position on the page, and adjust the X and Y values in the edit window.

Am I being clear at all?

I think so. You're talking about small edits to selected art based on page or map values? Or are we talking about minor shifts to the geo-referencing? I could see how you might be asking for either. The former being "shift these areas 10 miles south" and the latter being "shift the referencing on this map 10pts right". Either of those right? Or maybe both in different situations?
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->