Justin

Justin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • United States

Hi,

I am always putting new entries in the wrong area so I hope this is the right place. If it is, i'm going to give myself a cookie.

I have two issues with MAPublisher and maybe the answers are easy so I thought i'd ask all of you extremely smart folks.

1. I am running MP 7.6 on a very new Macbook. The Macbook runs Windows XP natively, and thats what AI CS3, Arcmap, and MP are all on. I've never gotten MP to run properly on it though, every few uses I get memory errors and the program terminates, and I have to reinstall. ArcMap and AI run just fine without MP installed. Has anyone else seem this issue?

I am convinced that the problem is that the software is running in Windows on a Mac, but I cant prove it. So I wonder if there is anyone else who has this setup? I'm not looking for tech support or anything, just wondering if there is anyone else running the software this way.

2. When I register a raster in MP it asks me for cell size, in order to properly fit the image in. I am curious as to where that information can be found in ArcMap - i'm using 9.3. This has kind of stumped me. Any other tips on registering a raster in MP? I sort of think shaded relief is the final frontier in learning how to be a proper cartographer, and i'm finding it tough.

I really love this software*. My professor has been in the GIS field since the 80s, and had no idea that it existed. Sad!

*before the memory dump fatal errors

Thank you very much!
Justin

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

2. When I register a raster in MP it asks me for cell size, in order to properly fit the image in. I am curious as to where that information can be found in ArcMap - i'm using 9.3. This has kind of stumped me. Any other tips on registering a raster in MP? I sort of think shaded relief is the final frontier in learning how to be a proper cartographer, and i'm finding it tough.

I *never* bother with manually registering a raster. Just click the "Read from file..." button and read the georeferencing information from a world file or geotiff.

Two things to be aware of:
- The image has to be in the same projection as your map
- If you've moved or scaled the map in Illustrator, you're out of luck because the image will be registered to the MAPublisher map view.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Justin

Justin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • United States

I *never* bother with manually registering a raster. Just click the "Read from file..." button and read the georeferencing information from a world file or geotiff.

Two things to be aware of:
- The image has to be in the same projection as your map
- If you've moved or scaled the map in Illustrator, you're out of luck because the image will be registered to the MAPublisher map view.

I appreciate the reply.

However, to pick your brain (as we say here), what if, for instance, I had to register a JPG or a GIF? (like an aerial photo). I suppose the best course would be to just export that as a geotiff from ArcMap?

The other issue is that Illustrator hates importing TIFFs and whines about bit depth. I'm unsure as to the proper export settings in ArcMap to achieve a good import into AI. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not.

Also it would appear that I am not getting a cookie.

Thank you!

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts
  • United States

2. When I register a raster in MP it asks me for cell size, in order to properly fit the image in. I am curious as to where that information can be found in ArcMap - i'm using 9.3.

You can see the cell size if you right click on the raster layer in ArcCatalog and select Properties.
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

However, to pick your brain (as we say here), what if, for instance, I had to register a JPG or a GIF? (like an aerial photo). I suppose the best course would be to just export that as a geotiff from ArcMap?

The other issue is that Illustrator hates importing TIFFs and whines about bit depth. I'm unsure as to the proper export settings in ArcMap to achieve a good import into AI. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it does not.

Also it would appear that I am not getting a cookie.

[gives Justin a cookie]

JPG or GIF: no problem. Raster is raster as far as Illustrator is concerned and as long as you have a world file (in whatever format MAPublisher supports) you can register them.

The problem with TIFF is that there's many settings you can pick. Color model (indexed, RGB, CMYK), compression (none, zip, lzw, jpg), byte order (Windows/Mac), bit depth (whatever you please), layers (yes/no). Not all combinations work equally well in Illustrator. When in doubt, open them in Photoshop and make sure the settings are okay. I usually go with 8 bit RGB or CMYK, uncompressed or compressed doesn't matter. Unfortunately not every application capable of exporting TIFFs is as tidy with them. I don't recall ever hearing of those problems with TIFFs coming from ArcMap though.

If it's a GeoTIFF, you'll lose the geo information after opening/saving in Photoshop. Use GeoTiffExaminer to read the information from the GeoTIFF and store it as a TFW.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Andrew Patterson

Andrew Patterson

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Canada

1. I am running MP 7.6 on a very new Macbook. The Macbook runs Windows XP natively, and thats what AI CS3, Arcmap, and MP are all on. I've never gotten MP to run properly on it though, every few uses I get memory errors and the program terminates, and I have to reinstall. ArcMap and AI run just fine without MP installed. Has anyone else seem this issue?

We don't actually QA Windows XP on a Mac, though I would have thought that would work -- I assume this is through BootCamp? Or are you just installing Windows XP on it as if it was a naked PC?

If it's a GeoTIFF, you'll lose the geo information after opening/saving in Photoshop. Use GeoTiffExaminer to read the information from the GeoTIFF and store it as a TFW.

Well, if you have Geographic Imager for Photoshop, you can open a GeoTIFF and edit it to your heart's content without losing any geographic referencing :)
Andrew Patterson
Lead Software Architect
Avenza Systems Inc.

email: andrew@avenza.com
phone: 416.487.5116

Justin

Justin

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • United States

Ah, thank you. I think the main issue for me is that there are just so many options and there isnt a single source to go to to figure out all of them across different software programs. Perhaps someone ought to write a "so you want to..." book.

However, thanks to everyone, I figured out how to manually register an image correctly. My first one, woo. Thank you very much.

Andrew: I am running Windows through Boot Camp. One of your support people, was really helpful, a few months back. It just comes back with very odd memory reference errors and then forces AI to close. Either that or AI simply disappears.

The most popular errors are
"ID = -36"
and
"0x007713eb 0x0000000 fatal error"

I am stumped, and perhaps there is something in the registry or it is referencing some part of memory that is conflicting with the Mac's installed drivers, bios or RAM. I will just save often.

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Justin, I am not experienced with Macs - but I doubt that it is the hardware platform that causes you problem, it should act like any other pc. Could it be a conflict relating to the Illustrator install, and/or other plugins?

Maybe a reinstall would help?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

Although not with MaPublisher, I have had similar issues running applications through bootcamp. For the longest time I was unable to run my Garmin software, and had alot of exporting issues with InDesign.

It was all fixed gorgeously when I made the switch to VMware. I still to this day have no idea why bootcamp was so buggy for me.

Have you tried bootcamp alternatives such as VMware or Parallels?
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->