20 replies to this topic

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Seriously though, I guess the difference for me is that IMHO (please don't shoot me if I am over-OVER-simplifying things), GIS design is starting from DATA, X and Y, lat and long, etc....while bird's eye/oblique, on the other hand, is starting from visual stimuli such as oblique aerial photography or hundreds of ground-level photos and half a notebook full of hand sketches and notes. GIS starts with "science" and works its way towards "art," while bird's eye/oblique starts with "art" and works its way towards "science." If you want "art" (bird's eye/oblique), it's probably best to start from art and work your way back towards science (though SketchUp is challenging that assertion). If you want "science" (much more technically precise), best to start from "science" and work your way over towards art.

Interesting way of looking at it. You may be on to something there. I think it would interesting to see how you guys work.

I agree with you guys that there are plenty of bad examples of "cartoon" maps. There are also plenty of bad examples of any other type of map (including GIS maps - talk about blasphemy! lol). It's also true that there are counter-examples (very good maps in any of those categories - I know that's what we all strive for and encourage from others, in the form of appreciation when we find it and in the form of educating when we are able).
One of my all-time favorites (besides present company, of course :D ) in the cartoon style was Jo Mora, a fellow Californian who worked in the 1930's and '40's. I think of cartoon maps as a subset of pictorial maps. I also think oblique/bird's eye view maps are an overlapping category with pictorial maps. But that's about the terminology (jargon, even).
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Jean-Louis

Jean-Louis

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In the vast ocean of my ignorance, I have a few bubbles of interests
  • Canada

I would love to see you do a parody of a cheesy map, like the one you describe

They already are parodies....

I,m pumped up about it because my son and I just finished selling advertising on a nice pictorial map for a little town. Amazingly, there were several merchants who were still pissed off and suspicious because of a particularly awful cartoon map that was done in 1989! Almost 20 years ago! and they still remembered it!..vividly!
A garage owner even said "YOU GUYS ripped me off back then and I,m not gonna get sucked in again. "
I lost it and replied: " I got ripped off 20 years ago by a mechanic , that means all mechanics like you are F*** A**holes.
I got into a vicious shouting match (much to my son's embarassement)

There were a couple of operations -like Ranlee out of Florida- who sold franchises do-it-yourself cartoon-logo maps all over the place. I think they all went out of business. Advertizing maps that get hung up can have an extremely long long life span...for better or worse.

GIS starts with "science" and works its way towards "art," while bird's eye/oblique starts with "art" and works its way towards "science

Good observation by the way, Derek
Jean-Louis Rheault
Montreal

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 276 posts
  • United States

A garage owner even said "YOU GUYS ripped me off back then and I,m not gonna get sucked in again. "
I lost it and replied: " I got ripped off 20 years ago by a mechanic , that means all mechanics like you are F*** A**holes.
I got into a vicious shouting match (much to my son's embarassement)

So... did you close the deal? :P

Adam Wilbert

@awilbert
CartoGaia.com
Lynda.com author of "ArcGIS Essential Training"

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

We did rip him off, and I'd do it again (bwah hah hah)! I remember vividly planning it at the 1989 meeting of the Cartographic Grand Cabal. It was the last time we held it in the hidden map caverns of... oh wait, this is a public forum isn't it....

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

To the Map Cave!

Holy dot densities, Mapman and Robinson! :ph34r:
(and don't forget Cartwoman...) :lol:
Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

To the Map Cave!

Holy dot densities, Mapman and Robinson! :ph34r:
(and don't forget Cartwoman...) :lol:

Da-da da-da da-da da-da da-da Mapmaaaaan!

(sung to the Batman theme of course)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->