• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,312 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

I would like to see the whole map explode in a ball of fire, lava and pumice! :)

Hans - you have some fascination for St Helens, don't you? I have a feeling that I have seen things you have done before on that site - or is it just that it is convenient with the data access... ?
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,889 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

I would like to see the whole map explode in a ball of fire, lava and pumice! :)

Hans - you have some fascination for St Helens, don't you? I have a feeling that I have seen things you have done before on that site - or is it just that it is convenient with the data access... ?

Well, there is the fact that there is a lot more data accessible for the US than for The Netherlands. Data comparable to what I used for these images is available, but it's very expensive. That is one of the main reasons why many of the 'portfolio' projects that I do are either of US locations or use US data.

Also, there simply is a lot more geography in the US. The Netherlands is flat and boring in terms of awe-inspiring landscape forms. We've got some hills in the south (outer reaches of the Ardennes) and the center (glacial hills) and that's it. So yeah, I do have a bit of a fascination with interesting geography and Mount St Helens is a site that is especially interesting. I visited it 2 years ago and was baffled by the sheer size of it.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->