rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Hello All -

Has anyone here had any experience with Lorienne's LorikSoftware? Their website provides some details but not enough. I'd be interested in knowing what it is like to work with, if other software is still needed (GIS or Illustrator), how flexible it is, how good it is at text placement, etc. Anything, really, that you care to share.

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

I've never heard of it - but it sounds interesting. If you find out any details - please share.

Oregon Metro - Portland, OR
www.oregonmetro.gov

Paul H

Paul H

Paul from JIMAPCO

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts
  • United States

Hello All -

Has anyone here had any experience with Lorienne's LorikSoftware? Their website provides some details but not enough. I'd be interested in knowing what it is like to work with, if other software is still needed (GIS or Illustrator), how flexible it is, how good it is at text placement, etc. Anything, really, that you care to share.

I have checked out this software extensively, but I have not made a purchase. (they even came over from France to give me a demo!) From my evaluation, I would say this software is excellent at managing datasets and creating high quality maps. You do not need any other software besides Lorik (they have about half a dozen flavors of their software, depending upon your needs). From my evaluation, I would say their LorikCartographer software compares favorably with Illustrator, and exceeds Illustrator in many ways. Their text placement features rival Maplex. Their updating features can create significant timesavings. Here's the downside - their software is very expensive.

Neil Allen

Neil Allen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • United States

We were heavily pitched their software suite last year after an IMTA show. While cartographically advantageous with its powerful toolsets (particularly type placement), we came to similar conclusions about the up-front cost of the software. In addition, file format conversion, the learning-curve, and their being a "world" away became other disincentives. We were further dissuaded by the cost of converting our existing graphics-based digital library. We sent file samples for them to translate and were not particularly encouraged by their initial results; so much so that we cutoff our pursuit then. From what they hinted to us, I gathered their client list to mainly be institutions tasked with making many types of the similar maps.

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts
  • Canada

Here's the link to their site if anyone is interested.

I would be keen to know how the price and functionality compares to ESRI's suite of products. We're currently producing maps using Freehand/Illustrator and are looking to move to something more intelligent/powerful/flexible.

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

We looked at it when moving from Microsoft but decided to go down the ESRI path as we already had a large ESRI based GIS team and a couple of ESRI developers. I would definitely look at it but keep in mind the huge community of ESRI users out there to tap into and as you are coming from an Illy background the great export ArcMap has to Illustrator.

I do get the impression it's more suited to planned large projects or series maps but I may be wrong here.

I know New Topo (www.newtopo.co.nz) use it to produce his maps—I think he uses it by itself so you can see the results he gets. I know one of the selling points for him was the fact it worked with the Laserscan IFF format which our National Mapping agency distribute their data in.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

[...] and as you are coming from an Illy background the great export ArcMap has to Illustrator.

great? hmm....
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

[...] and as you are coming from an Illy background the great export ArcMap has to Illustrator.

great? hmm....

Ok maybe I was a bit enthusiastic with labeling it great—I had a day where the Arc export to Illy worked well for a very quick job and saved what was going to be a nightmare from Microstaion.

Yes some problems both quirks and inherent limitations from the differences in technology but it is the only cross platform export I've found which keeps text on a path as text on a path and still does a good job of keeping layers together.

I've never experienced Manifold but have found the Arc export to be pretty good compared to other GIS or CAD to Illustrator workflows—once you get round the quirks.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->