3 replies to this topic

jdunndmb

jdunndmb

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Or more specifically Olathe, KS.

I'm John and have finally "seen the light" I guess. As I told a friend this morning, I'm sick of driving to work every morning hating my job and since Garmin is a 5 minute drive from my house I've decided to go back to my first love - maps and everything involved with them. The good/bad news is I'm going to have to go back to school after a 13 year layoff and get some sort of degree that would be applicable to the field.

Which brings me here! Looking forward to getting and sharing advice!

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,884 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi John!

Welcome to Cartotalk and good luck with your career move. If you have any questions about mapping or the industry, this is probabely the best place to ask them :)
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Or more specifically Olathe, KS.

I'm John and have finally "seen the light" I guess. As I told a friend this morning, I'm sick of driving to work every morning hating my job and since Garmin is a 5 minute drive from my house I've decided to go back to my first love - maps and everything involved with them. The good/bad news is I'm going to have to go back to school after a 13 year layoff and get some sort of degree that would be applicable to the field.

Which brings me here! Looking forward to getting and sharing advice!

Why don't you post on the job seekers board? If you provide the board your resume perhaps you may not have to go back to school. And besides what ever industry you currently are working in could become your niche within a cartographic perspective.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Neil Allen

Neil Allen

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • United States

John,

Garmin is right across the street from where I grew up and went to school. I applied there for a job over a decade ago and was impressed with their facilities. Now it's twice the size and seems to continue to grow. Best of luck there!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->