8 replies to this topic

Dale Sanderson

Dale Sanderson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • United States

Now that Google Maps has switched over to displaying TeleAtlas road data, is there anyplace online where Navteq data can still be viewed?
Dale Sanderson
professionally: cartographics manager for Dex One
personally: cartophile and road-geek (my website)

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Canada

Still looks like Navteq to me.....in any case, there's always Virtual Earth: http://maps.live.com/

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Mapiator

Mapiator

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Portugal

Now that Google Maps has switched over to displaying TeleAtlas road data, is there anyplace online where Navteq data can still be viewed?

You may check www.map24.com

Cumps

MostlyHarmless

MostlyHarmless

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

How odd... I work for Navteq and I just noticed this. The whole of the United States and Canada appears to be using TeleAtlas. Microsoft Live Maps and Yahoo maps appear to be still using Navteq.

BEAVER

BEAVER

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • United States

Big mistake on Google side. TeleAtlas data in NY State is so inaccurate, it's not even funny. In the 6 counties that I do business in, more than 10% of road names are incorrect. TeleAtlas takes the road names from local government agencies and not from actual street signs. This is huge problem in NY State as most street signs are different than what the county tax maps and 911 data shows. Navteq on the other hand has names as they appear on the street signs.

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

If you use Google Maps directly there is a noticeable difference with the information available. The key folks is that if you want to get more information then what is available use Google Earth then view it in Google Maps.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

MostlyHarmless

MostlyHarmless

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • United States

It seems that Google signed a 5 year deal with TA for map data.

Dale Sanderson

Dale Sanderson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • United States

It seems that Google signed a 5 year deal with TA for map data.

From what I gather, apparently Google felt this was necessary, because Navteq is now owned by Nokia, and Nokia's Symbian could be positioned as a free alternative to Google's Android. More at this link (although you have to wait for the ad):
http://www.data-stor...?story_id=60553
Dale Sanderson
professionally: cartographics manager for Dex One
personally: cartophile and road-geek (my website)

BWM

BWM

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

you can view the Navteq data (for Massachusetts only) w MassGIS's online Java based map viewer, OLIVER

http://maps.massgis....iewer/index.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->