• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

MappyB

MappyB

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:Map Maker by day, and Wine Drinker, Canoe Paddler, 5k Trotter, Recipe Creator, Road Tripper, Google Lover, and Bocce Baller by Night.
  • United States

Good morning,
I have recently started a new GIS position, and the organization tracks all incoming map requests by printing out Word Doc form and filing paper copy. I would like to find a way to better handle these requests.

My previous job had one email account MAP_REQUESTS@xxxx.gov and kept all correspondence archived there. I could go that route again, but like having a standard submission form filled out. (Ex. Map Title: (blank to be filled out) Delivery Method: (check JPG, PDF, print (then print size)).

I have played around with Adobe Designer, but had problems in the past (2006) with it emailing the form intact and not just the xml copy.

Just curious for ideas, and to learn how other people track their map requests.
Thanks in advance!
"It's risky to travel into the unknown; you don't know what you'll find.
But it's equally risky to dream, and not dive in." Robert Perkins [Limpopo River Documentary]

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

Well, you could create a PDF and people can fill in the blanks.

A separate email account or folder is almost as useful, as it can quickly be searched by sender, date, or keywords.

Or you could just accept the requests in whatever form they come from requestors, and just keep a simple spreadsheet of various fields, one line for each "job." This would make compiling year-end or budget statistics fairly easy. If you're a database whiz, it can be even more elaborate.

Keep in mind that a sure sign of bureaucracy is expecting your customers to fill out your form instead of communicating with you however they find convenient.
Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->