4 replies to this topic

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi all,

I have an action recorded to set overprints on objects in Illustrator in files out of ArcMap and have to run it on 1000+ maps. Problem is when I set the batch going as soon as I select another window other than Illustrator (email, explorer etc) the batch pauses. This also happens if I set the batch running via a remote desktop connection and then logout. I am wondering if the screen saver will also pause it which makes running overnight a problem - well I can just set screen saver off but that's a pain to remember to do everytime I run this.

Surely I'm doing something wrong here or there is a way to change this so it runs like Photoshop actions in the background. If not then surely this is a major oversight in the batch capability—some kind of wooden spoon award for that I think.

Look forward to any ideas.

Cheers,

Sam.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

gregory

gregory

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • Poland

Have a look at this answer
http://en.allexperts...h-won-t-run.htm

Adam Wilbert

Adam Wilbert

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • United States

This may be overkill (maybe not, depending on the tasks and how desperate you are I guess!), but I wonder if re-writing your action as a javascript/applescript would eliminate the need for Illustrator to be in the foreground in order to process your files.

Adam Wilbert
CartoGaia.com & AdamWilbert.com
Lynda.com author of "Up and Running with ArcGIS"

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,049 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, musical instruments, reading, hiking, craft beer
  • United States

Sam,
If the solution above doesn't work you might try a little application called Caffeine. It will keep your machine awake and the current screen active. It might do the trick in this case. I can send you the .exe if you can't find it online.

- Erin

Unit Seven

Unit Seven

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • New Zealand

Hi Guys—thanks. Will def try the batch from bridge option and also add another reason to learn javascript for scripting the Adobe Apps. One of those things I have never got around to because I have always manged to do what I need via actions but always meant to.

Thanks Erin but it's not so much the screen becoming non active but the fact I want to do other things while the action is running. Currently just make sure I plan these and run while I am away from the computer. Caffine look useful though and quicker than resetting power and screensavers for those times I need to keep the computer active (webinars in particular) so thanks.
S a m B r o w n

U N I T S E V E N
unit.seven@gmail.com

Miramar, Wellington
N E W Z E A L A N D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->