• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

eseeds

eseeds

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Hi all,

I'm looking to import a map in illustrator and then tile, but am just starting to explore the process and found a problem. When I export as an ai file it seems to export the view I'm in, at the level of zoom it is at. I want to produce a large city scale map that I can then zoom into and print tiled sections. Since this is vector based it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

cheers!

Erin

Rob

Rob

Legendary Contributor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Interests:anything outside.
  • United States

You are correct in how the AI export works. I usually establish my map extent and scale in the ArcMap layout, and save that view as a bookmark so i can always return if i need to compile additional classes of information for the same or a related map. I also save the AI at 720 dpi; there is a discussion somewhere on this board about the effects of dpi in AI exports you might try to dig up. As for tiling, you could do that on either side, either with this map book extension or using a clipping mask and some guides.

Clark Geomatics

Clark Geomatics

Jeff Clark

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  • Canada

Don't forget that ArcMap will rasterize everything beneath a layer with transparency during the AI export.
Cheers,

Jeff Clark
Principal
www.clarkgeomatics.ca

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

I have yet to find a really satisfactory way of tiling in AI. We do it in InDesign, but with a big map file, things get pretty unwieldy.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hi all,

I'm looking to import a map in illustrator and then tile, but am just starting to explore the process and found a problem. When I export as an ai file it seems to export the view I'm in, at the level of zoom it is at. I want to produce a large city scale map that I can then zoom into and print tiled sections. Since this is vector based it shouldn't be a problem, right?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated,

cheers!

Erin

Hi Erin

The ArcGIS export can be done either as an .ai file or as an eps file. I find .eps export to be much better than .ai.

I tried attaching one export from TIGER Line shp file exported as eps but the file is too large for attaching here. So I have cut a small portion from it and saved it as .ai, and then zipped it to make it small enough to fit in here. The zip file is attached.

I have exported the full Alameda county, CA with this method and it generates a big eps file but all the layers are exported and later you can work on the layers to introduce your preferred symbology.

Anu

Attached Files

eseeds

eseeds

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

thanks all!

I ended up simplifying to finish the job this time. I exported pdfs from arcmap and then did some additional labeling in Illustrator. I've used CS2 a bit, but not with GIS yet, should be interesting. I will experiment more with this on a practice project, will try your suggestion for the eps fiile Anu.

cheers:)

Erin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->