4 replies to this topic

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I have a few thousand sites, with lat/long and need best street address for each.
I found free online tools for one-at-a-time queries, but this won't due.

I have not upgraded to ArcMap 9.3 yet, so am wondering if there is a recommended way to BATCH REVERSE GEOCODE in GIS or any other means.

Thansk, Chris

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Chris,

If these are sites in the US, I could maybe get something working for you in FME, based on TIGER data (or any other dataset with house number ranges). I'd be happy to give it a try if you can send me some sample data.

Basically it would amount to:
- finding the closest road segment (that actually has house numbers associated to it)
- interpolating along that road segment
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Hi Chris,

If these are sites in the US, I could maybe get something working for you in FME, based on TIGER data (or any other dataset with house number ranges). I'd be happy to give it a try if you can send me some sample data.

Basically it would amount to:
- finding the closest road segment (that actually has house numbers associated to it)
- interpolating along that road segment

Exactly. I have been running small batches with this method with fairly decent results, but I have ~4,000 sites across the entire US and it takes a long time. I did find a web service that uses TeleAtlas street data which will likely result in better accuracy. If I use them I will do a thorough accuracy check and let ya know the results.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Exactly. I have been running small batches with this method with fairly decent results, but I have ~4,000 sites across the entire US and it takes a long time. I did find a web service that uses TeleAtlas street data which will likely result in better accuracy. If I use them I will do a thorough accuracy check and let ya know the results.

I don't have access to TA data for the US, but I'm betting it's of higher quality than TIGER.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

I don't have access to TA data for the US, but I'm betting it's of higher quality than TIGER.

I actually ended up using a geocoding service - better to pay a little and get good results than fuss around with Census road data.
If anyone is interested in the service I used just PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->