• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

victoria

victoria

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hello Folks,

I'm new to this list. I work for a company in Spain like cartographer and geomarketing analyst.
I would like to get some examples or documentation about "GIS and Non Governmental Organization".

Thanks

Victoria

Matthew Hampton

Matthew Hampton

Hall of Fame

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • Interests:Playing in the mountains and rivers.
  • United States

Hi Victoria,

Welcome to Cartotalk!

Your question seems a little vague. Are you interested in how NGO's use GIS? Perhaps you might explain why specifically you are looking for examples.

co-cartographic creator of boringmaps.com

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Victoria, I also think you need to specify NGO more clearly - in a general sense that group is extremely broad.
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

victoria

victoria

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi all
Really my question is little vague becuase is a general question. I would like to help some friends (NGO´s workers) with their ngo project. Water, infraestructure, health..... They always ask me to make some thematic maps.

I´m thinking thematic maps is ok, but perhaps they can use really GIS technology.

So, I would like to know examples of ngo project (water, health...) with GIS technology.

Thanks a lot,

Victoria

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Sweden

Victoria, I think you need to think of it more from the standpoint on what kind of map it is and how it will be used. The question is - is the legal status of the organisation really that relevant for this discussion?

For uses - I am thinking more of - is it a map for advocacy, field-work or planning?
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

victoria

victoria

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • No Country Selected

hi hugo,

I´m going to participe in a NGO project (Spanish NGO) in my university. I´ll have a lot the real question in the future; really I have a vague idea today.

My first question is: where can I get administrative cartography of Asia (especially Indonesia and India). A cartography in shape format... I look at the FAO web but i don´t see indonesia and india administrative cartography.

So, are there anothers public sources where can i get this maps

thanks for the help

victoria

Thanks for the help,

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

My first question is: where can I get administrative cartography of Asia (especially Indonesia and India). A cartography in shape format... I look at the FAO web but i don´t see indonesia and india administrative cartography.

So, are there anothers public sources where can i get this maps

The GIS Data Depot has administrative areas in E00 format.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  • Sweden

VMAP/DCW has it. Doesn't the ESRI data & maps DVD have it as well, if you have access to Arc?
Hugo Ahlenius
Twitter

victoria

victoria

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • No Country Selected

Thanks a lot Hugo¡¡¡

I get indian cartography in your links

ciao

victoria

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Hi Victoria,

Welcome to Cartotalk!

Your question seems a little vague. Are you interested in how NGO's use GIS? Perhaps you might explain why specifically you are looking for examples.

If Victoria wants to learn this she should pick up a book called Geo-Business, GIS in the Digital Organization. So far it has been a good read.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Victoria,

Welcome to Cartotalk!

If Victoria wants to learn this she should pick up a book called Geo-Business, GIS in the Digital Organization. So far it has been a good read.

Why don't you write a review? No seriously, judging by the title it sounds like something that could be of interest to some people here, so I'd love to hear a bit more about it and why you think it's a good book.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->