• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

brandy

brandy

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

First time post. Please let me know if I need to adjust to meet forum size guidelines for future posts. My map was created in ArcGIS. I am trying to give the land Feature a gradient to provide it some depth. However, when I do this I get banding because of the linear gradient intervals. I will have to zoom in to a 2 mile extent on other maps and the banding is even worse. I am not set on the olive color for the land, since it looks to matte but I can't seem to get past the banding problem with any color. Any ideas on how to create a successful gradient? Do I just need to add USGS elevation data for a more realistic look?
ARCGIS interval = 200
Percentage 100
Angle= 135 degrees.
Any other feedback appreciated.
Thanks,
-brandy

Attached Files

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,868 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hi Brandy,

Don't worry, we don't have any post length guidelines here ;) I did move this topic to the Software Applications forum though, as I feel it's primarily an ArcMap issue.

As for your banding, I'm no Arc user myself so don't take my word for it, but it looks like it could be an issue with the output color depth.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Hi Brandy and welcome!

In low, relatively flat elevation areas such as E. NC, I sometimes use the USGS DEM data to show some texture and depth across the landscape. Adjust the color scheme of the DEM and its transparency to comply with your base colors. Also consider adding major streams to the map if you use DEM data as the lower elevations will be distinguished with different color values and not having streams in these areas may be confusing for map readers. Alternatively, you could just leave the landscape matte, in this part of the world, it would be fairly accurate! ;)

Oh yeah, the Hoffman forest extends into Jones County. If you need the shapefile for the entire forest, let me know and I can email it to you.

Thanks,

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

brandy

brandy

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

hey thanks for the inputs and thank you for the welcome too. In any event, I think I will just stick with the matte finish, even though the DEM would probably look better visually. I was hesitant to use it because it is so flat in the areas and of course I don't want to confuse my audience :)
Oh I have the shapefile, just forgot to turn it on!

-Brandy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->