franciscocartographer

franciscocartographer

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Maps, FC Barcelona, Cadiz CF, Phoenix Suns, Hiking
  • United States

I haven't read of people using MapViewer in the forum. This is a thematic map software which very easy to learn and that has many usable tools. Among the maps that can be done are flow, prism, graduated symbols, dorling cartograms, density, pie, bar maps among others. It has also basic analysis tools like buffer, closest paths, distance of travel, etc.

This was my first introduction to digital cartography, and I didn't have to go through the high learning curve of GIS programs at first hand. Moreover It is still one of my favorite applications for map making.

I include a couple of prism maps I did a couple of years ago while at school. These are very simple maps without the use of illustrator or freehand (I didn't have access to these programs then).

[attachment=50:attachment][attachment=51:attachment]

Regards,

francisco.
--------------------------------------
Francisco Jimenez, GISP
Senior GIS Analyst & Amateur Cartographer

My webpage

Martin Gamache

Martin Gamache

Ultimate Contributor

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 980 posts
  • Interests:History of Topographic Cartography
    Topographic Mapping
    History of Relief Depiction
    Thematic Cartography
    Demographic Cartography
    Cartographic techniques, methods, and tools
    Orienteering
    Panoramic & Kite Photography
  • United States

Francisco,

This was one of the first mappping software I learned on, along with a DOS version of Idrisi when I took my first cartography and GIS classes. I was given the option of learning analog methods or digital for our only major map assignment and I chose to do mine with Mapviewer. This was probably in 1995, worked with it quite a bit in following years for mapping election results but have not touched it since 1998 probably.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->