Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Map Making & Map making
  • India

Hi!!!

I did a map for marketing purpose for one of my client which will indeed be used in the brochure for markieting their products. Though i have used Illustrator for doing this map, wanted to know any comments on it.

Regards,
GISGURU.

Attached Files

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Hello Gisguru,

I'd lose the border effect, just use a simple single line. This will improve the legibility of the map. Also, instead of using pink fill + black outline for text, just stick to a single fill color. As long as it contrasts well with the color you're using for the countries it'll be good.

Those two things, the border effect and the thick outline around the country names, make the map hard to read.

It looks like the Myanmar-China border is missing.

I'm also seeing quite some spelling mistakes:
Kazahstan should be Kazakhstan
Kurgyzstan should be Kyrgyzstan
Camdodia should be Cambodia
Philippine should be Philippines

Either remove the label for the Maldives or draw in some dots there, because right now it's sort of floating in mid air. Since you've shown the Marianas bigger than they are, I would say give the Maldives the same treatment. Maybe not geographically correct, but if your client has a business interest there I would certainly include them.

Hope this helps.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • United States

Visually, it's vary striking and handsome, very attractive. I should imagine it would serve well for a marketing publication.

At least in this rendering it seems pretty difficult to read the text.

It also seems as if the projection used (whatever it may be) serves to give a great deal of weight to Russia in the north and very little to the countries in the south. Depending on whom your client is marketing to, this could be a problem. My experience has been that those who live in southern nations can be quite sensitive to distortions of this kind. A conic projection might serve your purposes better, I suspect.
Will O'Neil
Author and amateur cartographer

http://analysis.williamdoneil.com/w.d.oneil@pobox.com

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • India

Visually, it's vary striking and handsome, very attractive. I should imagine it would serve well for a marketing publication.

At least in this rendering it seems pretty difficult to read the text.

It also seems as if the projection used (whatever it may be) serves to give a great deal of weight to Russia in the north and very little to the countries in the south. Depending on whom your client is marketing to, this could be a problem. My experience has been that those who live in southern nations can be quite sensitive to distortions of this kind. A conic projection might serve your purposes better, I suspect.

Hey that sounds good, may be i shall do some modification as per what HANS and you suggested, and i see if adds some more visual effect to my customer, but he is very happy with this anyway, may be it will brighten him more with these modification thanks.

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

natcase

natcase

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:cartography
    aeshetics
    cartographic design
    John Bartholomew
    road maps
    large-scale mapping
  • United States

Hello Gisguru,

I'd lose the border effect, just use a simple single line. This will improve the legibility of the map. Also, instead of using pink fill + black outline for text, just stick to a single fill color. As long as it contrasts well with the color you're using for the countries it'll be good.

Those two things, the border effect and the thick outline around the country names, make the map hard to read.

When making an outline on type, consider placing the line behind the filled shape. This way the line will not distort the original shape of the letters. Two ways to do this:

1. the "Freehand" method: duplicate the type, place behind, add outline.

2. the "Illustrator" method: open Appearance palette, select "add stroke" from menu, move stroke below "contents", adjust stroke. This can also be done at a layer level, styling all items on the layer.

Nat Case
INCase, LLC

Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
maphead.blogspot.com

mikeb226

mikeb226

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • United States

I hate to sound like a negative nancy here, but there is so much wrong with this map, I don't know where to start.

Geography:
• where's the other half of New Guinea island?
• where's East Timor's western border?
• Sakhlin Island does not connect to the mainland
• where is the border to Myanmar?
• what is the country between Myanmar, Bangladesh, China , Laos, and Vietnam with no label?
• Why is Tibet on here and no other disputed countries?
• where are all the Middle Eastern countries? technically, they are a part of Asia...
• the Marianas and Maldives are labeled, but no other island groups are. Is this intentional?
• Siberia is an area, not a country

Artistic:
• besides all the misspellings, the labels are near impossible to read. The stroke is way too thick. The trick in Illustrator is to layer text with the stroked text in the back.
• the drop shadows are too strong for detail. Combined with the labels, makes the map very muddy

Cartographic:
• obvious things are missing: title, legend, north arrow, etc.
• what is the purpose of the map? What products are being marketed to whom? Its hards to figure these things out with what you have presented here.

Kalai Selvan

Kalai Selvan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • India

Mike,

i really appreciate your feedback, that was the initial input that i had, shall definately work out on the feedback, and present a more realistic one shortly. For a map that needs to be printed on a brochure, do you really need a obvious things like title, legend, north arrow, etc. i again have my doubts?.

cheers!!

Thanks and Regards
Kalai Selvan

James Hines

James Hines

James Anthony Hines

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Philosophy, Politics, Psychology, Economics, Occultism, Spiritualism
  • Canada

Siberia is part of Russia & Tibet lets not get into a political discussion is occupied by China. When I'm looking at this map the first thing that pops into my head is woo easy on the eyes there. By changing the text to a solid colour that would certainly help. The blending effects looks good.

"There is much beauty that we fail to see through our own eyes teeming with life forms that give us that perception of our reality.  Leaves on the trees blowing gently in the wind, or scarily, the waves pounding through high surf, or lightly on a warm summer’s day; that opportunity to sit or swim in the water on a white beach.   That comfort to shout, “The universal conscious do you hear me?  I am alive, guide me dear logos towards the path of rightnesses.”  Earned what has been kept, no longer to be absorbed into a life filled with cold damn winds and  that stubborn fog clouding  my vision with nothing but darkness."

mikeb226

mikeb226

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • United States

I guess as far as the legend, title, etc, my point was leaning towards your presentation to the board here.

Yeah, in a brochure, those things are probably unnecessary, because of the context of the brochure. Since we don't have the benefit of that context, an explanation as to the purpose of the map would probably negate the need for a legend, title, etc.

I guess what I'm saying is its hard to provide constructive critical comments and guidance without getting the whole picture. Just saying "here's a map of Asia for a brochure" leaves it wide open for misleading and digressive comments, like the previous Tibet/Siberia comment.

Is the map supposed to focus on certain area and their relation other main areas? Is just an overview graphic?

If you look at the posts in this gallery, you'll see other have provided both the graphic and the purpose to help us, the judgmental observers :), better pass out constructive criticism.

Greg

Greg

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  • Canada

There are three things that jump out at me.

- The magenta/black text (difficult to read, and will not print properly on a press)
- Your credit is far too large. (pt. size should be no larger then your labels)
- Spelling / Geographical mistakes throughout.

Depending on the purpose of the map, I think the drop shadow effect could be quite effective.
Greg Moore

g r e g @ c a r t o g r a p h i c d e s i g n . c o m
www.cartographicdesign.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->