Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hi,

Just wondering if many people out there have done much with ArcGIS Server 9.3 yet? I have been looking foward to getting our copy (which arrived yesterday) so I could get stuck into the Javascript API. Apart from the ArcGIS Javascript API, the extensions for google maps and virtual earth also look interesting.

Also I had been cruising the new Resources page at esri and came across the ArcGIS Flex API which is avaliable with 9.3. Due to my curiosity regarding Flex I searched for some applications made with Flex and found a few. I must say I really like the look and feel of these sites, they look clean and are very easy to use which is probably an attribute of good UI design rather than Flex itself. One site I which I really liked partly because it was made with Flex but also partly because it was a great use of an online map was one found from the ESRI site called the City of Boston Solar map. After checking all these out I decided I might download the Adobe Flex Builder Trial and SDK and try out an app myself.

Has anyone else on the fourm done anything with Flex?? Doesn't have to be with AGS 9.3, just anything at all. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences.

Also while the jaw is nice and loose from all the rambling has anyone see some of the online mapping apps being created with MS Silverlight?? A link to one here.

Cheers
Andrew

coldfusionPaul

coldfusionPaul

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:GIS, web development, coldfusion, flex, AIR, i18n
  • Thailand

Has anyone else on the fourm done anything with Flex?? Doesn't have to be with AGS 9.3, just anything at all. I would be interested in hearing your thoughts and experiences.

we've built several apps using flex 2/3 on the front-end & coldfusion/arcIMS (java connector) on the backend as well as some w/the old esri AWS & the new google maps flex API. can't say enough about flex, we've dumped all our js/ajax UI in favor of it. clients also like it. nice to finally be able to build one UI for pretty much all platforms, flash was a bit too artsy-fartsy for anybody here to get a real handle on it.

we've just started playing w/arcGIS server & flex. at first i was disappointed that esri stealthily dumped AWS but the new arcGIS server bits actually do offer more bang for your buck. i especially like the "geo processing" bits. haven't run into any real show stoppers yet.

btw get flex builder if you're serious about flex development.

while MS is busy shoving silverlight down people's throats, flash is pretty much everywhere today & flash 10 looks very promising especially for linux folks. it's a good bet for the near term.

Andrew

Andrew

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • Interests:Web development, and golf!
  • Australia

Hey coldfusionPaul,

Thanks for the response

nice to finally be able to build one UI for pretty much all platforms

Yeah i'm excited about this, I liked ArcIMS for what it was and we still have many apps reliably ticking away with happy users. I found that more often than not I would always run into a browser compatibility issue with my ArcIMS apps usually to do with alignment of elements or the reaction of pop up windows in my cases. It was so frustrating!!! But I hear with Flex the browser just needs...is it Flash Player installed??? Then its good to go on all browsers and Platforms.

Andrew

frax

frax

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts
  • Interests:music, hiking, friends, nature, photography, traveling. and maps!
  • Sweden

Hi Paul - cool to see you here!
Hugo Ahlenius
Nordpil - custom maps and GIS
http://nordpil.com/
Twitter

Simon

Simon

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United Kingdom

Ive just got my copy of 9.3 Server as well.

Most of my time with ArcGIS Server over the past few months has been trouble shooting permissions issues, sorting out installations, just general annoyances. However, now it is up an running, although I should probably concentrate on developing web applications with VB.NET, but the Javascript API (in particular with Google/MS maps) looked like more fun.

Have been developing some basic applications and sharing geoprocessing models to run with the google maps interface. (no live demos im afraid).

Think ill leave flash alone for now - my clients/audience would probably noit have a browser flash player installed as standard. (for now).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->