DaveB

DaveB

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,057 posts
  • United States

Great idea, Hans!

A while back I created some not highly accurate shapefiles of US states/territories (not including places like Puerto Rico, Guam, etc.) from 1790 onwards, by decade (with exceptions in the 1900's where the states didn't change much). I'd be happy to make them available, and maybe people could improve and/or correct them.

Dave Barnes
Esri
Product Engineer
Map Geek

Dennis McClendon

Dennis McClendon

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:map design, large-scale maps of cities
  • United States

As a 20th century history buff (wading through a 1200-page biography of FDR this month) I'd be willing to help with the digitizing—especially if I can work in a familiar tool like Illustrator (with a known projection) and you can turn that back into shapefiles.  I've never tried to digitize in Arc, and I don't know what license level is required or how clumsy it is, particularly if trying to make borders coincident with preexisting rivers.

Dennis McClendon, Chicago CartoGraphics
chicagocarto.com

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,898 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Thanks Dave & Dennis!

Dave: I think we'd be focusing on the admin-0 level, i.e. countries, for starters, but I think there could certainly be an interest in a US states dataset as well.

Dennis: I was strongly leaning towards digitizing in Illustrator to be honest, using MAPublisher we can maintain the georeference and for volunteers who don't have MAPublisher we can work with a standard template (doc size and projection) so the data can easily be georeferenced afterwards.

Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

Tom Patterson

Tom Patterson

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • United States

Like Hans, I am a big fan of digitizing in AI with MAPublisher, having used this approach to create most of Natural Earth's foundational vectors. Digitizing with the pen tool and Bézier curves, converting the Béziers to short straight line segments, and exporting them as shapefiles works efficiently. Handing off data between MAPublisher and Arc—we do this with Natural Earth—is not a problem, so multiple folks on different platforms could contribute.

If this project is undertaken, including historical boundaries as part of the Natural Earth dataset is worth considering. In Natural Earth, if you delete the modern reservoirs there are river centerlines below, approximating river alignments prior to the twentieth century. Natural Earth also contains former coastlines of the Aral Sea and Lake Chad.

I'll ping Nathaniel about this.

Tom

teddydog

teddydog

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • United States

Yes, I'd definitely be interested in a higher quality set. Possibly to include some earlier periods of the modern era as well

koen onestopmap

koen onestopmap

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Belgium

I'm interested too in making these files. Have been drawing historical maps for more than 20 years. As soon as I have some time I will get into how to digitize with mapublisher, because I've never done that process.

Also, my father has loads of quality historical atlasses, like the german Putzger. He knows what he's talking about, trust me.

If people are already in the process of making these shapefiles, you may contact me of course. Not that we're doing the same job twice.

Vector Map Royalty-Free | Printable and Editable

www.onestopmap.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->