19 replies to this topic

sjonni11

sjonni11

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:soccer,maps, outdoors
  • Australia

Awesome map mate. Very impressive. Well done.
Cheers,

Sigurjon Runarsson
Iceland

mikeb226

mikeb226

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  • United States

Nice!

I like the idea of show a map of a valley by actually showing the valley.

You really get a sense of the topography here.

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Nice!

I like the idea of show a map of a valley by actually showing the valley.

You really get a sense of the topography here.

Well, thanks to the availability of good 3D data and software to work with it, there's a lot possible nowadays in 3D visualisation. It's still not really the same as being there and actually seeing it, but it comes close.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

MapMedia

MapMedia

Hall of Fame

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • United States

Impressive Hans. That is an excellent poster. All self taught? wow

My only thought would be to label the Po Valley since this is the name of the poster, and other geo places are labeled. It may seem intuitive by the Po River but just for clarity sake.

If you were to do another rendering of an equal area, how many hours would it take? (now that you have completed a learning curve)

-Chris

Hans van der Maarel

Hans van der Maarel

CartoTalk Editor-in-Chief

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,882 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, GIS, history, popular science, music.
  • Netherlands

Impressive Hans. That is an excellent poster. All self taught? wow

My only thought would be to label the Po Valley since this is the name of the poster, and other geo places are labeled. It may seem intuitive by the Po River but just for clarity sake.

If you were to do another rendering of an equal area, how many hours would it take? (now that you have completed a learning curve)

Well, I have been working with VNS for years now, and in the course of that time have had 2 5-day training courses (as well as hosted my own 3-day training course with expert user Adam Hauldren as lead instructor), so I can't say I'm self-taught.

Setting up the scene like you see it here can be done in about 1-2 hours really. It depends a bit on the DEM resolution. I've used 1 km ETOPO1 here. 90m SRTM would obviously take a lot longer to load. Rendering time itself depends on the size/resolution of the visible area, the output resolution and the quality of the atmospheric settings. Here it was about 10-15 minutes or so for a 2000x1500 pixel image. I manually enhanced the rivers in the resulting image and fixed some water/land issues up close to the camera. Then the labelling is done seperately in Illustrator. So if I can work on it all in one go, I could do it all within a day and a half, maybe 2 days.

For those of you who are interested in how I did all this, I will be speaking about the new Visual Nature Studio 3 at Practical Cartography Day this year (wedged in between Alex Tait, talking about Vue3d, and Tom Patterson, talking about Natural Scene Designer 6) and, according to the programme at least, I will be demoing it afterwards as well :)

If I can make some time free somewhere in the next few weeks (yeah right) I want to render it bigger, take along some of the comments that were made here and make a big poster version (this is A3, I want bigger). Hopefully I can get that done before NACIS and bring some along for show and tell.
Hans van der Maarel - Cartotalk Editor
Red Geographics
Email: hans@redgeographics.com / Twitter: @redgeographics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->