• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Hi!

I want to learn scripting with Python and I'm looking for the best book. Does someone knows an up-to-date book for that? If it has a more "GIS approach", I would appreciate.

Right now, I only have found "general" Python programming books on Amazon but I don't know which one would be best.

Thanks!!

ELeFevre

ELeFevre

Hall of Fame

• Associate Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, Music, GIS, Coffee
  • United States

I would dig around the ESRI bookstore. I'm guessing they have Python for GIS book.

supercooper

supercooper

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • United States

Hi!

I want to learn scripting with Python and I'm looking for the best book. Does someone knows an up-to-date book for that? If it has a more "GIS approach", I would appreciate.

Right now, I only have found "general" Python programming books on Amazon but I don't know which one would be best.

Thanks!!

I would look at Dive Into Python, Google it. The entire book is online for free. I have yet to find a Python/GP-centric book out there, one needs to be written.

Eric Wolf

Eric Wolf

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • United States

Do you want to use Python with ESRI software or Open Source?

The basic language is the same - and it's fairly easy to learn. Any text will take you there. Look for free texts on the web. For basic geoprocessing, you'll rarely use more than about 20% of the language features.

If you want to use Python for geoprocessing in ESRI, then just look at the examples on ESRI's site. They are more informative than any book could be.

If you want to use Python with Open Source libraries, like GDAL/OGR, then just Google for example code. GDAL/OGR doesn't have alot of "canned" geoprocessing but can be used for more GIScience type work.

Keep in mind: I've worked as a professional software developer for close to two decades. At least 90% of the time, I look for an existing script that does almost what I want and then tweak it. I almost never start with a blank file.

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

Thanks guys! I'll take a look at your suggestions :)

mike

mike

Legendary Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Canada

I would dig around the ESRI bookstore. I'm guessing they have Python for GIS book.

ESRI Press doesn't have a Python for GIS book... but we've been talking about creating one.

We've been selling this (and similar books) at the UC for the past few years: http://oreilly.com/c.../9780596513986/

François Goulet

François Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Canada

We've been selling this (and similar books) at the UC for the past few years: http://oreilly.com/c.../9780596513986/

That's the one I got when I searched for Python in the ESRI Store... About $30 from Amazon.ca. I should have my copy in a week :)

I have also downloaded "Dive into Python" which has, lucky for me, a French translation (let's hope it's a good one).

I have also found the Python and GIS Lab which should be a good place to start for example scripts and libraries...

Thanks to all, I'll be able to start my "training" very soon! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->