- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

lauren

lauren

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi, folks who might know more about ArcGIS than me!

I am managing a map in ArcMap. I have a bunch of points taken on a GPS and converted to point shapefiles by the Minnesota DNR Garmin application. I also have a few fields of data for each point entered into Excel. I'd like to be able to click on the points in ArcMap with the "info" pointer and have these Excel data visible in the point shapefile attribute table.

So, how can I enter the data into the attribute files of the point shapefiles?? Some of the data fields are numbers and some are text... I'm working with ArcMap 9.1, I believe.

Thanks!!! Any prompt response would be greatly appreciated--I'm going back into the field tomorrow. Take care.

Lauren

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Hi, folks who might know more about ArcGIS than me!

I am managing a map in ArcMap. I have a bunch of points taken on a GPS and converted to point shapefiles by the Minnesota DNR Garmin application. I also have a few fields of data for each point entered into Excel. I'd like to be able to click on the points in ArcMap with the "info" pointer and have these Excel data visible in the point shapefile attribute table.

So, how can I enter the data into the attribute files of the point shapefiles?? Some of the data fields are numbers and some are text... I'm working with ArcMap 9.1, I believe.

Thanks!!! Any prompt response would be greatly appreciated--I'm going back into the field tomorrow. Take care.

Lauren

Hello Lauren,

If you have a unique ID field for each of the points in the shapefile and in the excel file you can add the excel file and do a simple join. Right click on the point shapefile and select the Joins and Relates...select Join and then use the Join wizard. Once you've joined the two tables (using the unique ID field of course). If you'd like to create a new shapefile containing all of the joined attributes you can then right click on the point shp and select Data... choose Export Data and voila!

hope this helps... :)

happy field mapping!

analisa
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

lauren

lauren

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • No Country Selected

Hi Annalisa,

Just wanted to say thanks for your speedy reply! Your description jogged my 5-year-old memory of joins and relates from my college GIS class... Everything worked very well.

Thanks again--

Lauren

A. Fenix

A. Fenix

Analisa Fenix

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, PGIS, PPGIS, GIS, Urban/regional Planning, Conservation, Biodiversity/Cultural Diversity, Travel, History, Ecology, Geography, Biking, Gardening, Cooking, Physics, Permaculture, Sky diving, Green Roofs, Music (creating and enjoying), Photography, Carpentry, Film making, Writing...
  • No Country Selected

Yay! Glad that I could help :)

take care!
Analisa Fenix
GIS Manager/Chief Cartographer
Ecotrust

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->