4 replies to this topic

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

I have a potential client that is looking to get a digital map of an area, showing service areas and customer locations. He wants the ability to zoom in and out, pan and click on features such as customer locations and view information on these features. Essentially it sounds like an interactive web map or Google Earth / Maps type app but he would like it in pdf format. It also sounds like ArcPDF except that we don't have ArcGIS to create it.

Any ideas or do I need to convince the client to use a format other than PDF?

woneil

woneil

Will O'Neil

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • United States

I'm not aware of any seamless way to do this along the lines of Google Earth but of course you can easily arrange it so that clicking on an area in a PDF page would bring up another page with relevant detail. When I do something like this I put it together in Acrobat, although there may be easier ways with other software.
Will O'Neil
Author and amateur cartographer

http://analysis.williamdoneil.com/w.d.oneil@pobox.com

rudy

rudy

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 754 posts
  • Canada

I'm not aware of any seamless way to do this along the lines of Google Earth but of course you can easily arrange it so that clicking on an area in a PDF page would bring up another page with relevant detail. When I do something like this I put it together in Acrobat, although there may be easier ways with other software.

Of course - why didn't I think of that? Essentially it would be a multi-page document with the map as the navigating tool. Each record, perhaps, would have its own page. Thanks.

CHART

CHART

Chart

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • No Country Selected

If you have AI cs3 you can save as PDF . This way you can maintain your layer structure if required. This makes a pdf with a 'turn' on and off layer option (just like a mini-GIS). Hyper-links etc... can then be done in Acrobat

By the way is there a way in AI to create Hyperlinks that export to pdf with the saveas command? You would not need acrobat if this is possible.

Terragotech as software for moving ArcGIS data to a PDF but it requires a pdf plugin to read the created pdf.
http://terragotech.c...tions/index.php

IMO this product might not take off as it requires the end user to download a pdf plugin...

I believe Avenza (MapPublisher) tried a similar product a few years back but I don't think it made it.... (But this could be better explained by the folks at Avenza).
Chart

Longcreative

Longcreative

Contributor

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • United States

I have a potential client that is looking to get a digital map of an area, showing service areas and customer locations. He wants the ability to zoom in and out, pan and click on features such as customer locations and view information on these features. Essentially it sounds like an interactive web map or Google Earth / Maps type app but he would like it in pdf format. It also sounds like ArcPDF except that we don't have ArcGIS to create it.

Any ideas or do I need to convince the client to use a format other than PDF?

I believe you can create dynamic PDFs with Flex and AS3....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->