Hello, thanks for posting your work. A few comments:
- The red lines are there to show the area of focus, correct? Why not make the trail red or some other color that stands out instead of black?
- You need a legend or key. What do the magenta circles represent? I am assuming they are to demarcate trail section distances. Remember, there will be people reading this map, who won't know this or be able to figure it out. Direct your map towards the general public (i.e. make it so a 3rd grader can read and understand it).
- What do the random polygons represent on the map?
- What is the line that bisects the trail network? Is that a powerline corridor?
- Make the streams blue to distinguish from the roads and trail.
- Label the adjacent section of the trail system so people don't get confused between which trail they are looking at on the different maps.
Overall, I think you could simplify the map a bit getting rid of or using different symbology for some of the other line work on the map. Make the trail route the primary object on the map, its current representation doesn't really distinguish it from other line work on the map. Once again, potentially inexperienced people will be relying on these maps for wayfinding (some will be out there in the infamous Texas summer heat in potentially dangerous situations, so accurate and easily readable maps are necessary for safety).
Please post your next version!
Hope this helps and thanks again,