5 replies to this topic

ETXGeomatics

ETXGeomatics

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

Howdy all,

The attached map is a draft update to the first section of the Lone Star Hiking Trail located in the Texas Gulf Coast region. I have also attached an example of the current maps. Once I have a good template developed, the entire 128 miles of the trail will be mapped. Software used includes ArcGIS 9.2 (ArcView) and the DNRGarmin extensiuon. All of this work is being done pro bono because the group is a non- profit and the trail is located mostly on public lands. The trail data is from a guides GPS tracks and the road data is from the USDA Forest Service database. Three series will be developed: trail only, with aerial photo, and with topo.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

ETXGeomatics

Attached Files

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Hello, thanks for posting your work. A few comments:

• The red lines are there to show the area of focus, correct? Why not make the trail red or some other color that stands out instead of black?
  • You need a legend or key. What do the magenta circles represent? I am assuming they are to demarcate trail section distances. Remember, there will be people reading this map, who won't know this or be able to figure it out. Direct your map towards the general public (i.e. make it so a 3rd grader can read and understand it).
  • What do the random polygons represent on the map?
  • What is the line that bisects the trail network? Is that a powerline corridor?
  • Make the streams blue to distinguish from the roads and trail.
  • Label the adjacent section of the trail system so people don't get confused between which trail they are looking at on the different maps.

Overall, I think you could simplify the map a bit getting rid of or using different symbology for some of the other line work on the map. Make the trail route the primary object on the map, its current representation doesn't really distinguish it from other line work on the map. Once again, potentially inexperienced people will be relying on these maps for wayfinding (some will be out there in the infamous Texas summer heat in potentially dangerous situations, so accurate and easily readable maps are necessary for safety).

Please post your next version!

Hope this helps and thanks again,
M.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Esther Mandeno

Esther Mandeno

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • United States

Hello ETXGeomatics,

Did you intend us to review the jpeg thumbnail (which doesn't seem to be a finished map but rather some sort of draft) or the attached PDF file (which does seem to be a finished map with scale bar, north arrow, etc.)?
------
Esther Mandeno
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving. - Albert Einstein

ETXGeomatics

ETXGeomatics

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • United States

The jpeg represents how the old map looks while the PDF represents the draft version of the new map. Thanks for the feedback.

Hello ETXGeomatics,

Did you intend us to review the jpeg thumbnail (which doesn't seem to be a finished map but rather some sort of draft) or the attached PDF file (which does seem to be a finished map with scale bar, north arrow, etc.)?

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Thanks for clearing that up. I suppose you could pass my initial comments along to whoever developed the other map :o

That said, great improvement from the original map. Some suggestions:

• I think you should include the mileage between points that can be identified on the ground. This terrain seems to be pretty homogeneous and having identifiable points on the map that correspond to points on the ground with mileage indicators would help hikers with their pace and location.
  • You may want to include a legend or master legend for you map series.
  • What happened to the ponds? Including any major landscape features will benefit hikers and give them destination points or markers for reference.
  • The inset map could be enlarged showing more detail and some annotation explaining what it is showing. You could enlarge and move it to the upper right area of map without losing too much information.
  • Why is road FM 149 red? You may want to consider making it a different color than the trail, even though the trail line is dashed.
  • Do the trailheads shown on the map include parking?

Thanks,
M.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

Charles Syrett

Charles Syrett

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Canada

You mentioned that you would be doing a topo version. My difficulty with the photomap is that it doesn't show enough information as a trail map. If I were hiking there, I'd actually take that manuscript with me and leave the photomap behind. Not only does it show ponds that aren't visible on the photo, it also shows other drainage, as well as a straight linear feature which may be some kind of electrical line (hard to say, because it doesn't show up well on the photo). So -- will we be seeing the topo version soon? :rolleyes:

Charles Syrett
Map Graphics
http://www.mapgraphics.com

Howdy all,

The attached map is a draft update to the first section of the Lone Star Hiking Trail located in the Texas Gulf Coast region. I have also attached an example of the current maps. Once I have a good template developed, the entire 128 miles of the trail will be mapped. Software used includes ArcGIS 9.2 (ArcView) and the DNRGarmin extensiuon. All of this work is being done pro bono because the group is a non- profit and the trail is located mostly on public lands. The trail data is from a guides GPS tracks and the road data is from the USDA Forest Service database. Three series will be developed: trail only, with aerial photo, and with topo.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

ETXGeomatics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->