- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Nick Springer

Nick Springer

CartoTalk Founder Emeritus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts
  • Interests:Cartographic Design, Print Maps, Graphic Design, Web Development, Ultimate Frisbee
  • United States

When text is exported from Manifold GIS (and maybe others), any text that followed a line feature gets broken into individual letters along the path.

I have written 2 Illustrator CS3 scripts that can be used to clean these up. One script takes a selected group of letters and merges them into a new text-on-path object following the same path as the original. The second script takes the selected group of letters and just merges them into a single text frame (no path) in approximately the same location.

Caveats: the individual letter blocks cannot be in a mask or a group (Manifold does both), or you will get an error. The script assumes that the letters were "laid down" in the Illustrator file in the correct word order. I make no guarantees with this script but it works for me and saved me hours of work. Let me know if you have any problems or suggestions, but I can't promise anything.

Attached File  sample.png   7.59KB   81 downloads

Attached File  TextScripts.zip   1.55KB   116 downloads

Nick Springer

Director of Design and Web Applications: ALK Technologies Inc.
Owner: Springer Cartographics LLC

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

That's great!

Thanks for sharing with us! :)

Sean McVeigh

Sean McVeigh

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • United Kingdom

This is an excellent script! I am reasonably new to GIS and have found it frustrating that all text on curves is broken into individual characters, when you bring files into Illustrator. Previously, if you want to shift road names, you have to do it character by character and manually rotate them to re-align with the road. Recommended to any 'GIS to Illustrator' user!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->