bchubb

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Painting
  • Canada

Hi, :)

Following up on my post in the software forum about OCAD, here are some snippets of a couple miscelaneous maps I've made in OCAD. As I said, I've (so far) no experience with Illustrator, or other programs normally used for cartography, but perhaps these might be of some use in making a comparison. I've just included snippets so as to not take too much space, while still maintaining resolution, but could post entire maps if anyone is interested.

Attached File  Map_1.jpg   170.1KB   232 downloads
Map 1
This is part of a map created for a sign in a tourism kiosk using primarily Geobase data, The hillshade was first created in Manifold, exported as a geotiff, then opened in OCAD as a background layer. The remainder of the map was designed directly in OCAD.

Attached File  Map_2.jpg   133.5KB   191 downloads
Map 2
Part of a learning asset inventory. Georeferenced information was imported directly from the database and added to the basemap which was created from municipal data.

Attached File  Map_3.jpg   146.45KB   190 downloads
Map 3
A snippet from another map showing water systems in Northern Ontario. The basemap was again created from Geobase data.

Cheers,
Bryan

bryanchubb.ca
My paintings (...and no, my Avatar is Vera by Fredrick Varley)

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Nice work chubbers! I especially like the first map. In my OCAD work I've never used a template (background) image for a final product. I think I'll try. Maybe in a project that started recently. Is it possible in OCAD to place an image wider than 65000 pixels? Oh which version of OCAD did you use?

Lui

bchubb

bchubb

Key Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Interests:Painting
  • Canada

Is it possible in OCAD to place an image wider than 65000 pixels? Oh which version of OCAD did you use?

Lui

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm using OCAD8 Professional, but this map could have been made with OCAD8 standard version. If you are using OCAD6/7, you may well have problems with large images. There is a massive improvement in image handling in OCAD8. I don't know the exact limitations, but I've had no problems opening 20 tiled geotiffs in OCAD8 (25MB each).

To answer your question, I tried creating a single 70000x10 pixel geotiff and opened it within the OCAD space with no problem. The file size was small however and one at 70000x20000 was over a gig :blink: and I got a memory error , so I think it would depend on the size of the image, not the number of pixels.

I believe OCAD's size limitation is 4x4 metres paper coordinates, but I could stand to be corrected.

HTH :) ,
Bryan

bryanchubb.ca
My paintings (...and no, my Avatar is Vera by Fredrick Varley)

Lui

Lui

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  • Interests:Natural looking maps, hillshading, mountain cartography, LIDAR, TLS, data fusion, photogrammetry, singing, poetry, cycling
  • Slovenia

Thanks, this is very interesting. I'm testing OCAD 9 and I was trying to import a really big geotiff file (>2GB uncompressed). With 2GB of RAM no go. So I guess that we figured out that OCAD raster template is limited by RAM. Well it is time for 8GB RAM computer and WinXP64.

Lui

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->