yeneneshabebe

yeneneshabebe

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Ethiopia

Dear Sir
I am working on an excel data which contains latitiude and longtiude location of several points. I want to import this excel latitude and longtiude dta to Arcmap and generate point data from it. So how can I perform this?

Fran├žois Goulet

Fran├žois Goulet

Ultimate Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts
  • Interests:Cartography, History, Graphic Design and almost everything else...
  • Canada

Dear Sir
I am working on an excel data which contains latitiude and longtiude location of several points. I want to import this excel latitude and longtiude dta to Arcmap and generate point data from it. So how can I perform this?

Hi!

ArcMap 9.2 can open excel spreadsheets directly. There's a "How to" on the ESRI support site: Import XY data tables to ArcMap and convert the data to a shapefile.

If you do not have 9.2, try to save your xls to csv. It should work.

Good luck!

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

Save the excel spreadsheet as either a .txt or .dbf file (I guess the new version of excel doesn't do dbfs), then use the "Add XY Data" under "Tools" to import.

ArcMap only recognizes certain field names, for example "x" and "y," or "longitude" and "latitude," so make sure your fields are properly named.

This will create an event theme, not a shapefile. You'll need to specify a geographic coordinate system (under View-Data Frame Properties- Coordinate System tab) since that is what your data are in. Then export your data (right click on the layer- Data-Export Data) and choose to export a shapefile or feature class with "the data frame" option button so the projection of the export will be defined as geographic.

Let us know if this works for you...
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

yeneneshabebe

yeneneshabebe

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Ethiopia

Save the excel spreadsheet as either a .txt or .dbf file (I guess the new version of excel doesn't do dbfs), then use the "Add XY Data" under "Tools" to import.

ArcMap only recognizes certain field names, for example "x" and "y," or "longitude" and "latitude," so make sure your fields are properly named.

This will create an event theme, not a shapefile. You'll need to specify a geographic coordinate system (under View-Data Frame Properties- Coordinate System tab) since that is what your data are in. Then export your data (right click on the layer- Data-Export Data) and choose to export a shapefile or feature class with "the data frame" option button so the projection of the export will be defined as geographic.

Let us know if this works for you...

Dear pfyfield,
Thank you for ur quick reply. I have tried to rename the field name to latitude and longitude in excel and the arc map consider the field name. But importing the coordinate values degree minute & seconds is a problem. The arc map consider the degree minute and seconds as different value and displays it on different fields. Originally the degree minute & seconds value were written separately in different columns . So again I tried to write all the coordinate values of latitude in one column and also the values of longtiude in one column each value with the degree minute & seconds symbol,but it doesn't work.
Dear pfyfield, please would you send me the detail procedure how to do it starting from excel(i.e coordinate value arrangement (degree,minute & seconds) in excel column up to importing to Arcmap. I think the main problem is the coordinate value arrangement.
Thank you in advance for ur cooperation.

yenenesh

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

Try converting your values from DMS to Decimal Degrees, then follow pfyfield's instructions on adding X/Y data.

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

pfyfield

pfyfield

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • United States

You just need to get your lat-long values into a single field with decimal degrees. If you have one field for latitude in degrees, another one for minutes, and a third for seconds, then divide seconds by 60, add to minutes, divide that value by 60, and add to degrees. Likewise with longitude.
Paul Fyfield
Cartographer, Bureau of Land Management
Oregon State Office
Portland, Oregon
pfyfield@blm.gov

ProMapper

ProMapper

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  • Interests:promapper@gmail.com
  • India

Hi Yenenesh

It is just about fifteen minutes task, if you can send me the excel file, I will convert it to shp file and send it across to you. Just send me the file in mail, please zip it with maximum compression for easy upload. My email promapper@gmail.com

Anu
http://www.mapsandlocations.com

yeneneshabebe

yeneneshabebe

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Ethiopia

Try converting your values from DMS to Decimal Degrees, then follow pfyfield's instructions on adding X/Y data.

Thank you it works now.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->