• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

dvrpc

dvrpc

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

I am looking for examples that document an agency's/organization's cartographic guidelines.

I'm the GIS Manager at a planning agency where maps are heavily used on our reports. I have resisted implementing standards in the past because of fear of stifling my staff's creativity. We now have more planning staff creating their own maps and I see the time has come to provide them with guidelines.

I have found an excellent example here http://www.metrokc.g...ards_042902.pdf
and am looking for more of the same.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

BioGeoMan

BioGeoMan

Master Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts
  • United States

This Cartotalk post may help: http://www.cartotalk...?showtopic=2284

Michael Scisco

BioGeoCreations
Albuquerque, NM

505-603-3636
biogeocreations.com

David T

David T

GIS Manager, USMC, MCIWEST-MCB Camp Pendleton

• Validated Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • United States

I am looking for examples that document an agency's/organization's cartographic guidelines.

I'm the GIS Manager at a planning agency where maps are heavily used on our reports. I have resisted implementing standards in the past because of fear of stifling my staff's creativity. We now have more planning staff creating their own maps and I see the time has come to provide them with guidelines.

I have found an excellent example here http://www.metrokc.g...ards_042902.pdf
and am looking for more of the same.

Here's something to consider - are you planning on implementing 'guidelines' or 'standards'? You use the terms interchangeably, but I think it's important to identify which of these you are trying to accomplish.

Earlier this year, we brought this subject up to a number of USMC GIS Managers, and received a lot of push-back, initially, when the idea was broached. It's been important that we identify to the GIS Managers that we are looking to establish 'guidelines', that provide cartographic guidance (because of a lack of cartographic experience), but not a set of standards that must be followed. We felt the same way - we don't want to stifle creativity, or attempt to establish rules that may not be appropriate for a particular field (i.e., is there a reason why a particular utility line is displayed a certain way?)

Are you trying to ensure that maps have a particular look and feel, or are you trying to provide help to those with less cartographic experience than others?
David Toney, GISP
GIS Manager
United States Marine Corps
West Coast Installations

dvrpc

dvrpc

• Validated Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • United States

David T, you make a good point. My motive is to help those who may be cartographically-challenged.

While I do see some value in laying out standards I prefer not to dictate design. I just want to provide users with a document they can refer to to see what is required and alos look to for recommendations or guidelines. Fortunately one of my responsibilities is to review all maps before publication so I can ensure they meet certain criteria.

Clive Cartwright

Clive Cartwright

Contributor

• Validated Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • United Kingdom

I read with interest the .pdf link. Sadly the appendix was missing, but I got the general idea.

I can see that you’re aware that the quality (overall look) of your maps have a major role on reflecting on how your clients/customers, perceive the professionalism of your organisation. Quoting “I have resisted implementing standards in the past because of fear of stifling my staff's creativity.” Umm… allowing your cartographers free reign on the how the maps look, will result in a diverse range of styles being published, and will, as result, be detrimental to any moves to consolidate any Corp ID/professionalism, to your organisation. Establishing basic cartographic rules set to a house style, will not necessarily stifle creativity. There are plenty of aspects to presenting spatially related data that require individual skill in layout and balance that is equally important to the success of communicating your data to the customer.

I suggest that you involve as many of your map makers as possible (maybe a meeting/conference one morning) and thrash out some group ideas as to setting up guidelines. This way all have the opportunity to feel involved in the process, and claim shared ownership over the development process. There’s a new publication "Cartography: an introduction" 2008, focusing on rules on 2D output, that may be worth reading. You may find that this move will be met quite positively by staff; especially as such output does hold heavy sway on how an organisation is perceived in the public. We all want to feel some pride in where and who we work for.

Look at plenty of other published examples relevant to your field and observe what works, and what doesn’t. I’m sure you’ll succeed in a useful/workable template for your staff to work with.

Good luck.
Clive E. Cartwright
Mapping & Charting Officer
British Geological Survey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

-->